• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digging fence posts

fowldreams

Im trying to put a fence up around the garden. What Im wondering is, if anyone has ever used their gas auger for ice fishing to dig the post holes. If it works will I just need to replace the blades or do I have to take a different approach to this? Just trying to save money with out having to buy new equipment and would prefer not to use a shovel.

A post hole digger is an option or rent a dirt auger. I would not want to ruin my ice auger. I'm guessing the flighting in the auger is not heavy duty enough to hold up to the abuse of rocks.

A garden in Big Lake? Doesn't that area have sandy soils and how big of a garden?

Just shovel the top foot of soil out of the hole then go with the post hole digger. If it's an option with the fencing you are installing use a post pounder.

I have an old strike master mag2 that i bought in the eighties.I have drilled over a hundred holes in the ground with it.20-30 of the holes were dug through rocks.I have went through several old blades ...it wears them down pretty fast.I have never tried putting new blades and drilling through ice again because i have a newer auger for ice fishing.But just looking at the flighting i see no signs of it being bent.I did repaint the black flighting once.The auger is solid.

Don't laugh until you try it: Try using a shop vac. Tape a 6' 1x2 to the hose (the 1x2 acts as a handle)and run it past the end of the hose about 4". Running it past allows you to "dig" if need be. It actually is very quick and doesn't leave a mess.

The important thing is the tamping when you set the post. My dad was never satisfied unless we had to get more dirt at the end of the process. The tamping ended up being more work than the digging.

Unless you need more then a dozen holes or have a bulging disc in your back, man up and dig it with a shovel! Its a good work out... Everyone acts like they are allergic to manual labor now-a-days!

Now this I would like to see - an 8" or 10" post hole dug 42" - 48" deep, with a shovel? "Good Luck"

I see nothing wrong with manual labor but what is wrong with working smarter? I'll work smarter to avoid that bulging disc, Thanks.

Well auger it was. Picked up a old eskimo auger at a garage sale $15. Motor didn't run but I didnt care. Pulled lower off, put on my strike master head and away I went. 18 holes later, best $15 Ive spent in a long time. And yes working smarter rather than harder is the best approach. Thanks for the input guys