• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Garden

itchmesir

Here it is... Got our first tomato growing! Really excited for the harvest this year.. our garden is about 4x larger than it was last year.. If you notice anything in the pictures feel free to comment.. we started everything from seed this year.. which we had never done before.. and some of the veggies are new to us.. such as corn, cucumbers, some of the hot peppers, spinach, onions, garlic.. so if you notice any problems feel free to chime in.. thanks

P1060492.jpg

Front left is tomatoes(tigerella and black krims)

Back left is corn

Front right is closets to farthest.. Garlic, Spinach, Onions

Back right is tomatoes(mortgage lifters and cherokee purples) behind those are 3 Chinese Giant red peppers

Trellis is cucumbers

First tomato of the year is a Mortgage Lifter!

P1060494.jpg

Knee high by July shouldn't be an issue..

P1060508.jpg

P1060496.jpg

San Marzanos and in between them are two hot pepper varieties.. Yellow Lemon and Hungarian Wax

P1060502.jpg

Pepperocini

P1060501.jpg

Jalapeno, Thai Chili, Jalapeno

P1060499.jpg

Habaneros

P1060493.jpg

Sweet Pepper variety

P1060498.jpg

Chinese Giants

P1060497.jpg

Peas

P1060504.jpg

Herbs.. Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Dill, Rosemary.. (Had to start over.. Gf forgot to water in the morning.. got to 95* and toasted them all)

P1060503.jpg

Cucs

P1060495.jpg

P1060507.jpg

Lawn grass (mowed and brown) as a carpet especially under the tomatoes. It will reduce the amount of weeds and help from spores from the dirt getting on the tomato plants and creating brown spots and yellow leaves. Garden looks real good. Cant really see the onions too good. You want to make sure about half the bulb is above ground. Most people who fail with onions plant them too deep. You get good green but no onion bulbs.

Cool thanks for the pointers.. what else can i use besides grass clippings? I have a dog and he uses the yard.. I clean up after him.. but still seems sketchy to use grass clippings that a dog does his business on

Nice job Itch! That is the epitome of a "backyard garden"......great utilization of space. Also concur with grass clipping(or at least something) for mulch. Personally have not gardened since my son was born, partially because I hate weeding and watering, especially after the skeeters hatch; and anything you can do to minimize them, just means more fishing time and less scratching the Itch.....kind of a pun intended smile For the last two weeks I did actually get back into the "sport" and like you am just packing it in, in a relatively small space. Your pics give me hope as I got a really late start and still a lot of work to do........

Looking good ichmesir! We are having our first two garden tomatoes for supper tonight. A Cherokee Purple and a Black Krim. This is the earliest I have ever harvested a tomato of any variety. A few more are starting to blush, a couple fourth of July and a couple Japenese Black Trifele. Game On grin

Tomatoes by the fourth was always the goal. Looks like Flipper has well exceeded that! Nice! Better late than never, and looking like september for me smile Here is the first weeks worth of work on my end. Started the week after Memorial day and two weeks later, the toes and peppers have started to take hold, along with the onion sets. In the foreground next to the onions, the carrots, chard, and lettuce are up, but not even past the first true leaves yet. In the background along the fence, which was actually part of week number two's project, the pole beans, cucumbers, and mescaline mix just started(one week later) to pop today. I am incredibly out of shape, so this actually has been good for me, but hot days like today are certainly a kick in the middle aged jorts.......

IMG_0075.jpg

Looks like I got a couple weeks before i get to eat any tomatoes.. how early did you plant flipper?

I planted the seeds indoors in the second week of February and transplanted the plants in late April. I am reasonably sure I will never see a spring this warm again.

So we pulled our spinach as it was bolting.. so we have some open garden space between our onions and garlic(just now realized we should've planted garlic way later in the year).. could we still get away with planting carrots there this season? what else would go good there?

Also.. would it be too late to plant a melon in with the corn? or maybe some pole beans?

Not too late for pole beans, I like Kentucky Wonder. Do you like beets. It isn't too late to plant them. Bush beans would work well too. I think it is too late to plant any of the melons. You could also wait a bit in that bare spot and plant a fall crop of lettuce or peas.

As mentioned I am still in the process of planting and am still confident of planting almost anything: beans, peas, spinach, chard, turnips, beets, cucs, lettuce, bok choi, cabbage, broccoli, summer squash, potatoes, onions...the list goes on....even a variety of muskmelon called Minnesota Midget that matures in a little over 60 days.

Seems like I never stop planting. The bunnies have all but destroyed my beet crop and raised cain with the snap peas as well. I planted some beets again before last week's heavy rains but I can trade with someone for those if I have to. After dealing harshly with the cottontail habitat (brushpiles), will plant fall stuff the end of July. Purchased several types of winter radishes and will attempt another snap pea crop in a bunny proof enclosure.

The bunnies like nothing better than beets it seems. Last year a couple days before we were going to pickle the beets the deer got in there and really tore things up. The bunnies here have come down with a severe case of lead poisoning. gringrin I wonder how they would taste coming off your new grill.

heh, heh, heh...Despite protests from Mrs. Cheviot, the school book depository and grassy knoll here have claimed many a victim, but only in season of course. I'm only allowed to use the .22 as she claims the shotguns make too much noise when discharged from inside the house. wink Ah yes, I could envision using the grill to broil squirrel and bunny shish kabob made with some of the vegetables they didn't eat or destroy in the garden. It would only be fitting... grin

As mentioned I am still in the process of planting and am still confident of planting almost anything: beans, peas, spinach, chard, turnips, beets, cucs, lettuce, bok choi, cabbage, broccoli, summer squash, potatoes, onions...the list goes on....even a variety of muskmelon called Minnesota Midget that matures in a little over 60 days.

You could plant any of those except maybe melons and winter squash..Also to late to plant onions.They should start to bulb now.You would wind up with nothing but scallions.

Local greenhouses should have sales going on now.Transplant cabbage,broccoli,and cauliflower.