• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 stroke vs. 4 stroke Mercury 115

Indyfishing

i have a 2002 Merc 115 4 stroke. only run non oxy premium. only changed the plugs once, not because it needed it, just did. runs as good as the first time i took it out. has never been in the shop. good luck.

I was talking with a Merc dealer about a new Merc motor a month ago.

I aksed about the 4 stroke as I have been happy with mine for the past 7 years.

He asked me why and I said they are quiet, troll down nice and cheap on gas.

he said the new 2 stroke are as about quiet and troll down very well.

I asked what the percentage was selling these 2 options and he said he easily sells more 2 strokes.

He about talked me into changing.

2 strokes have more power compared to their weight. 4 strokes generally run smoother, especially at with a motor as large as you want. If you maintain your own engine, a 2 stroke is great, because they are so simple. I can change the piston and rings in 1/2 an hour easy, but it could take me a whole day on a 4 stroke, due all the moving parts like valves, and the timing chain, etc.. 2 strokes are generally cheaper too, because they have less to go wrong, just feed them gas (you might not even need premix, if it has oil injection) and if you really want to baby it, throw in new piston rings every decade. The downside is that they can be gas hogs, at least the older ones are, and they might not idle all that well (as in trolling). There is an old myth that it is bad for 2 strokes to idle, because there is not enough gas to lubricate them, I think this is wrong, but nobody know for sure.

so weight is no issue, you just have to decide what you need it to do

2 stroke

pros

more power

less and simpler maintenance

cons

rougher idle

premixed gas (maybe)

4 stroke

pros

smoother idle

straight gas (no premixing)

cons

less torque

more and spendier maintenence

I prefer 2 strokes because I do 99% of work to motors myself, and I love the smell of burning oil with my morning lake fog. grin New 2 strokes will probably troll all day with no issues, an old one like mine wont at all (1984 40 hp) 2c

I was presuming he was talking about Optimax, not the old carb'd 2+2 115 like I traded off last year. No question to ask if that is what he was talking about. 4 stroke all the way. Optimax is closer question.

Assuming both are fuel injected.

2 stroke,

Pros: slight nod to weight

Cons: oil mixed, I don't care for it even if injected

4 stroke

Pros: fuel effeciency; quieter; no oil to mix; resale value

Cons: changing oil, it holds a lot; size/weight

Personally, I don't see a reason where I'd ever go back to a 2 stroke.

Edit: I'm currenty running a 2004 115hp Merc 4S EFI and zero complaints.

Thanks for the info everyone. i am leaning towards the four stroke based on the trolling ability and fuel economy. Plus i hate throwing burnt oil into the air and lake. As far as tracker boats go, i am sure they dont rate with a lund but are they that bad? Any tracker owners out there?

As far as tracker boats go, i am sure they dont rate with a lund but are they that bad? Any tracker owners out there?

Not trying to hijack your thread, but since you asked. Search this site using the key word "Tracker"

and then search the other popular search site with the key words "Tracker Boat Issues".

You can then make your own decision if they are really, as you said, "That Bad"

Your money, spend it as you see fit.....

As for the motor, been running Mercury 4 strokes for 10 years. Not ONE issue, Zero. I have a 2011 115hp Mercury 4 stroke after a 50hp Mercury 4 stroke, great motor. If I buy another boat it will have a Mercury 4 stroke on the back.

Mike