• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New computer what to get???

I currenty have a Dell dimension 3000 I think they call it. It is getting really slow. Would like to get something new.

Has to be able to hold couple thousand songs lots of pics and video. What are my options?

Not computer savy at all. Just in the begining stages of looking.

Building one is easy but there are a lot of people that either don't want to do it or don't have the knowledge. Laptops are a great choice and can be ran as a desktop also. I was/am a huge pc guy but the MacBook pro laptops are a beast. I bought one for my wife and have been impressed. A simple external solves any space issue

Most PCs on the shelf will suit your purposes. a 500 gig hard drive will hold a lot of data. And like posted above an external would solve any over flow problems. My picture folder on my PC has close to 5000 pics and it is running about 6 1/2 Gig in size. The average mp3 is is about 5 MB so with some simple math you can figure out disk space.

Speed and RAM? Unless you are doing some very CPU or Memory intense processing the modern stuff on the shelf will meet your needs. I would just make sure the RAM is 3 GB or better, 4 GB is what I would be looking for.

I currenty have a Dell dimension 3000 I think they call it. It is getting really slow. Would like to get something new.

Has to be able to hold couple thousand songs lots of pics and video. What are my options?

Not computer savy at all. Just in the begining stages of looking.

Depends to some degree on your budget and whether you play games. You should be able to get a desktop with core I5, 4-6 GB of memory and 1TB of disk for a reasonable price. That will do everything you need except heavy duty gaming.

Depends to some degree on your budget and whether you play games. You should be able to get a desktop with core I5, 4-6 GB of memory and 1TB of disk for a reasonable price. That will do everything you need except heavy duty gaming.

No need to spend more for an Intel when an AMD processor will do just fine for what the OP needs. I just built my newest computer late last year with a triple core AMD Athlon CPU and it is great, especially for the price. And I do video editing on my computer! If all you need is an internet machine and storage for MP3 and photos then there is no need to spend more on an Intel, spend that money on a bigger hard drive for storage.

Bigbad do you have any more specs on your computer? The wife and I are looking for one to hook up to our big scree mainly to hold movies, some photo/video editing. We have a nice laptop that will do all of our other computing needs.