• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lawn height???

MinnesotaMike

What is a good height for a lawn?

I've experimented over the last couple of years and want to see what everybody else does.

I have cut it short 3" and it looks nice but dries out fast and the weeds soon take over.

I am currently leaving it about 4"-5" but it looks spotty. Nice and thick in some ares and thin in others.

I live in Anoka cty so the soil is mostly sand. I don't put fertilizer on the lawn because we currently have dogs. We are also in a pine tree forest.

What are you thoughts on the optimal length of a lawn??

Thx,

Good Luck,

Mike

3 inch (as shown on my mower) is the longest I cut my lawn. If it's going to be hot for many days without rain, then I'll leave it a bit taller.

Most of the time I'm cutting at 2.5, but I have irrigation on the yard.

I believe 3-4inches is what is recommended for northern grass. The highest setting for my mower is 3 1/4in, otherwise I would cut it at 4in.

BTW, I have a dog and put down fertilizer a few times a year. No problems.

Anywhere between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2" in the year with the 2 1/2 being the first and last mowing and going up from there. Generally 3" until it gets hot on most yards and then raise it up to 3 1/2".

I have noticed that on some yards 3 1/2" can look sloppy whether that is due to weeds or the type of grass...not sure.

I would suggest that you actually measure the grass blade length after mowing rather than just believe the setting on the mower to see what the height is.

If I can see my 3 year old son's ankles when he walks in the yard the grass is too short.

I grow it long 5 inches is ideal and mow twice a month at the most.

Had to modify the mower wheels to get it to mow that high.

Deep Roots, cool soil, no weeds.

My lawn is never shorter than 3". I like to keep it at 4" when its hot out, but 3.5" is my standard. This is the height I recommended to my clients.

You'll get 10 different answers on this one from guys who do it for a living to the weekend warriors. SOme guys think they have a putting green and like to mow at 1.5". Those are the guys who water every day, fertilize spray etc and their lawn is still browning out.