• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Full Windshield boats

Dragonsm

Alright my fellow fishingMN members, I have a question for you.

Currently my first boat is a mid 80's Mr Pike and it has been a great boat for me and my wife. Now that I have a "family" the boat seems small and every waking minute in the boat with the family I am constantly keep close tabs on my daughter (who's now 4 and VERY tall for her age) and I don't seem to "enjoy" myself out on the lake much.

My question is......I haven't walked thru boat models much to know which models to look for and even more limited seat time in "ride". I know what I want, just not so much the "names" to be looking for. Dealers selection of newer used are well picked and what I am looking for seems to be sold before it even hits the lots. So, I was wondering if the more "salty" veterans could give me some options to look at for boats. Private party is a choice I am looking at also....I just don't want to be chasing boats around the country side that I'll be disapointed in.

I am looking at a fish or sport/fish boat with a full wrap around windshield. My father has a crestliner sportfish that my daughter has taken a liking to to solidify the decision. (at least being able to sit up front on the platform and then duck behind when she gets cold) Also, the other big thing is rod lockers .....I would want a wide side to the boat where rods and storage are located and the side of the boat is deeper with a flush side. Protruding rod lockers like I had on my pike seem to be a great place for my daughter to sit and play. (yes, she does always where her pfd but it's something I'd like)

A few of the models I have been starting to look at are:

Lund Tyee, Pro Sport, Fisherman

Crestliner Sportfish and Super Hawk

Alumacraft Trophy and Dominator (I believe)

Starcraft Superfisherman

Only knowledge is really the basic tin boats....but if there are decent glass boats out there...let me know. (I think it was a stratos 1760 DC and thought that was a nice boat)

Resale isn't the main focus as I am looking to keep this boat for the next 10+ years as long as I don't hit any major issues.

No "alliance" to any one brand....smokercraft, monark...etc (I didn't care for the tracker boats as I rode in their pro model and it felt very tinny) I feel they all make a good boat.

Just looking for a "Brainstorm" of ideas.....late 90's to mid 2000's with a 90-115 size motor. "True fishing boat" amenities will be sacraficed for some creature comforts for my two ladies who enjoy fishing also...but aren't as "hard core". I have in the past taking boy scouts out fishing on Rainy in my Pike and I enjoyed it. I know with a different layout I'd be able to do that again more "comfortable" and also maybe even participate in some take a kid fishing days. Sometimes the greatest day of fishing for me is one I don't ever wet a line.

Thanks in advance on any recommendations

Steve

I just spent the last weekend plus with two grandsons ages 1, (2 in august) and 2 (3 in July) in my new Alumacraft 175 Dominator. I decided on this boat for exactly these type of outings because of how deep it is. The kids are able to move about the back of the boat without a large chance of them falling out. The older grandson spent alot of time fishing out of the front of the boat with no issues, while not as deep as the back, it is deep enough to at prevent them from walking right out of the boat like they could in some bass style boats. This boat also seems to be alot more stable then the 1984 Sylvan 18' that I used to have. I am very happy with how this boat is working for me since I got it this spring. However, I am a bit disappointed with the design of their rod locker, not really user friendly. My best bit of advice is check out as many as you can, pick out the one you like, and enjoy your time on the water.

I think the Lund Fisherman is now the Adventure. I could just as easily be wrong. I'm not familiar with the pro sport but the Tyee should be deeper than the Fisherman.

The Alumacraft Trophy is deeper than the Dominator. Then there is a Navigator that is closer to the water than the Dominator.

I have an older Tourney Sport that is similar to the Dominator and know what you mean about the rod locker. I love the flat front casting deck without the walkway but the rod locker is a little short. The distance between the first eyelet to the end of the handle can be a tight squeeze.

Another thing to think about is boat control. What you gain is comfort and safety, you lose in boat control when going to a full windshield and a taller gunnel. As an example, the Tyee will catch more wind than an Adventurer, and the Trophy will catch more side wind than a Dominator.

I selected a Crestliner Sportfish for all the reasons that you named above. I can convert it to full on fishing with front and rear casting decks or I can have it in Family comfort mode with a lot of seating. I also drop the rear seat down when stowing a large tube for tubing days. The kids like to ride in the tube when it is strapped down back there.

Front and rear live wells, rod locker, ladder, bimini top with windows for rain, etc.

It was the right decision for my family of 5.

I have graduated up in boats since 82. Started with a 12’ Alumacraft w/5.5hp, to a 79 Sylvan 16’ w/85 hp, to a 86 Lund 5.5 Tyee w/110 hp, to a 06 Lund 1850 Fisherman w/150 hp.

What I’ve learned is never under power these boats if you plan on pulling a tube or skier. In wind it will be much harder to control but with a standup top you will be a lot more comfortable and that’s a big plus with kids. With one kid a 17.5’ will be okay but if you plan on adding a dog and another kid or wife you will run out of room fast.

Having a ladder on the back is also a great addition for us.

I have a 17.5 Lund Explorer Sport powered by a Merc 115hp and it fits my needs perfectly. I really like the full windshield. Living up north I often fish in cool temps and the windshild is nice when making those long runs on lakes like LOW & Rainy.

I agree that you should get as close a max hp that you can afford because the family use of a boat becomes much more then a fishing rig. Kids love to tube, wakeboard,ski and just go fro a fast boat ride.

I have had two Alumacraft 175 Trophy's and I like the windshield. I am an old tiller guy but I just sit in the back seat and us the trolling motor from there. My wife and dog appreciate the dry ride of this boat. I do what it it takes to make them dry and happy. By the way its my wife's dog!!!!

Mike

I have a 2001 Lund Pro Sport with much of what you are looking for. Mine has a removable piece to convert it from a casting platform to an open floor, you can put cushions in the front and then use it for cruising. I also have a bimini top and enclosure, which is very nice to get some shade or stop some rain. I'm in Dayton not too far from you, if you want to see my boat to compare it to other makes message me and feel free to come take a look. It's not for sale though, unless the offer is too tempting, hehe.

Thanks for the responses.

Listed my boat last week and the first couple interested in it bought it on Saturday. They were extremely happy with the boat and I was glad to see that.

Guess it's time to get my butt in gear and look at a few models.

Steve

Just a tip for finding a new boat which I'd probably obvious but when I was looking for mine I put a wtb ad on hsolist and was very specific with what I wanted. I think a lot of people go out there to see what they could get for their boat and then they find a buyer all set to go. Mine never got listed, I bought it before he had a chance to. BTW, I bought a Crestliner 1850 Sportfish for the same reasons you are looking to upgrade. It is a great boat.

Just thought I'd bring a 2 year old thread back around full circle.

A lot has happened in two years, was offered to relocate early (fall of 2012) with my company to Sioux Falls, my wife and I added a little boy to our family around Easter 2013....so the boat decision got put on hold temporarily.

By last fall, I was getting a bit stir crazy not having a boat here in SD for the river and for all the trips back to MN when we come to visit family (both sides)

Needless to say, ran across a "gem" about 6 weeks ago and as that old song goes...."I'm back in the saddle again...."

2003 Crestliner Superhawk 1700 with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke....hardly even a scratch in the boat and very low usage. Well taken care of by an older couple that made the decision to sell due to health.

Have had it out twice with the wife and two kids for a little boat ride, but looking forward to heading towards the river this weekend to give it it's first trial run at fishing. (been a busy few weeks)

A long overdue thanks to those that gave advice!

Steve