• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Relandscaping - What to use for edging?

vikingmeatwad

Hey All,

I'm hearing many different things from companies and neighbors/friends.

I was thinking of adding the plastic edging and placing landscape fabric after making sure all my grading is complete.

If I go no edging it will not look good after a couple years. I would rather fish and do fun stuff rather than work on the yard!

Please see pics in this link for my progress of regrading and keeping some greens living. Any input is greatly appreciated!

http://imgur.com/a/2CSJG#0

Thanks

fast way is plastic edging. rent an edger. makes a nice trench with little effort. slip in edging. pound in some stakes. fill dirt back in & done. i dont use landscape fabric. just mulch. dirt blows in & weeds grow on top of the fabric. mulch does a pretty good job with the weeds. IMO

We've recently started replacing all the plastic "junk" with the 12 inch long cement edging stones. We wanted to do concrete but that seems too permanent. So far they look pretty good and have held up good to the rain!!!

High quality plastic edging (i.e. commercial grade, straight 20' sections) is a much different product than the cheap stuff you find at the big box stores. I would never use the stuff that comes all rolled up in a box. However, the installation is far more important. If done correctly, plastic edging can be a cost effective, and durable, method to keep your landscape looking nice for years. Here are a couple tricks to consider:

1. Most people put the edger in too high. You only want the very top of whatever you use right at the top of the sod/turf. Grass grows from rhizomes that travel under (or through) your edger. By keeping the edger as deep as possible, you limit the grass creeping into your beds. You also make it less likely to get caught by mowers, etc...

2. The stakes they provide are usually overkill. I buy pole barn nails from a big box hardware store in an 8-pack for $2. Smaller, easier to pound and they leave less of an opening for rhizomes to travel through (and they will).

3. Last, I take the time and effort to overlap the edger when joining two pieces together. You need to cut off 4-6" of the top "bulb" and bottom anchor 'v' and leave the vertical section to overlap with the new piece. Using the standard connectors, pound a stake right through both pieces, and you'll have a very grass resistant joint.

I think the 'bullet' edgers are worthless as you literally have a joint every 16" and grass WILL grow through the joints. I also think they are ugly, but that is my own personal opinion.

What rainylakefisher posted is spot on!!!!

Looking over the pics I'd say your edge will be too curvy for metal edging, so that's out. I'd suggest good quality plastic edging.

Sorry, but get the hostas and other perennials away from the house. frown You'll want small SHRUBS in ROCK next to the house. Save the perennials and wood mulch for areas away from the house. At least try to do that as much as possible ($$$$$$$/looks/what'll grow there.)

Plastic under the rock near the house. Fabric in spots if you want to have water absorption.

Lastly, many houses of today are getting over-landscaped. Don't over do it. Kinda looks like a fun project - level ground, digging up hosta, wheel borrowing in rock. Not a bad project. smile

Thanks a ton for the input everyone.

Where can I get the edging that works the best?

I will rent an egder or just find someone to edge it for me.

I am anti-rock as I hate having to deal with it after it gets old and looks like junk after awhile. Maybe I need to reconsider this as plastic under rock would work well to protect the house from water.

I also think I need to extend the gutter downspouts beyond the edging and I have started to shovel out where the water flows.

Jameson, I hate this kind of work you want to come work on it?

:-)

Any of the better garden centers will have the commercial grade plastic edger. It's around $15 per section and should come with connectors and stakes.

I am also "anti-rock mulch" except in rare, high traffic areas. Good slope away from the house and rain gutters are far more beneficial than the plastic sheeting when it comes to water problems. I'd rather have to top-dress the mulch every couple of years than dig out weed-infested rock every 5-10 years. Good clean mulch with a helping of pre-emergent herbicide and your weeds will be minimal.

....Jameson, I hate this kind of work you want to come work on it?

:-)

I think I'm still a retired landscaper. So, no! I even live near Excelsior... whistle

But come on man just do it. Yank out all the plants that aren't going to stay. Grade it a little more, but it looks pretty good by the pics. Get a can of upside-down marking paint and paint your edging. Rent a edging trencher and make it do the hardest part. Install the edging. Put some plants in. Lay down your poly and tack it down with shovelfuls of rock.

Than it's a rock concert. If you have a strong back have the rock dumped on the driveway and load wheelborrows (sp?) with shovel. If your smart, have it dumped out of a truck into borrows, or use a skiddy to load two-three borrows at a time.

Trim off the excess poly and wash it off with a garden hose.

Easy, nothing to it. Couple hour project. whistlecrazy