• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fiberglass Boat....

bigstick56

So, I am in the market for a fiberglass boat....Just not right now...I would say 2-3 years down the road when I save up enough pennies. My question and I know this will turn into a ford vs. Chevey vs. dodge debate but I want to hear the pros/cons of several manufacuters of fiberglass walley boats...the modles I would consider at this time would be: Ranger 619 / 620, Skeeter 19'- 20' wx series, yar craft 19'-20' foot, lund GL series...Nothing is out of the picture as of right now, idrally I would love to test ride all of them the same day on the same body of water but I know that is just not possible....So like I siad I want to hear pros and cons of anything you have....Thanks

So, I am in the market for a fiberglass boat....Just not right now...I would say 2-3 years down the road when I save up enough pennies. My question and I know this will turn into a ford vs. Chevey vs. dodge debate but I want to hear the pros/cons of several manufacuters of fiberglass walley boats...the modles I would consider at this time would be: Ranger 619 / 620, Skeeter 19'- 20' wx series, yar craft 19'-20' foot, lund GL series...Nothing is out of the picture as of right now, idrally I would love to test ride all of them the same day on the same body of water but I know that is just not possible....So like I siad I want to hear pros and cons of anything you have....Thanks

I would also consider the Ranger Reata/Angler boats too.

They are typically not as expensive as the 6** rangers, and many people who troll like the more open cockpit and layout.

Theyre nice wide and stable boats, handle rough water well, and are incredibly comfortable.

You can get the 18.5ft version (1850 Reata, 1860 Angler) or the 17.5 ft version too. If youre looking at the 17.5 ft version, and looking at used ones some of the older ones were only rated for 115 vs 150 for the new ones.

I run a Ranger 620, and have fished out of comperable Skeeters and Warriors (before ownership change) too.

What I like in a boat might not be the same thing that you like in a boat, so I would seriously consider test drives. Talk to the dealers of the brands you like, if they can't arrange a test drive then go to a different dealer. Here is a list of some of the Evinrude/Ranger test rides this summer. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mille-Lac

June 1-2

MWC/NTC at Izatys

Bemidji

June 9

Kraus Anderson at City Park

Buffalo

June 16

Buffalo Days at Sturges Park

Starbuck

July 28

Water-Rama at Waters Edge

Restaurant

Oh yes there will be a difference in speed and ride. Each one of those boats is designed different from the keel to the gunwale so there will be differences. I've fished out of a couple of skeeters and they seem to have a bit more boat out of the water than a comparable ranger so the wind seemed to effect it more. Thats just my experience fishing out of a wx2100 and a ranger 620. The skeeter seemed to ride better in my opinion but it was two different times and two different bodies of water. But everyone above is righ they are all quality boats so it is really going to be up to you. Find a dealer you like because i'm sure the boat will have to go back for something at sometime. Take your time and find the exact boat for you. Because the models you listed are all in the 50-60K range new depending on options. So you better be in love with it.

I am "in the same boat", so to speak, as the OP. Although I have not fully ruled out aluminum. One of the things I have noticed is the massive amount of storage in the Skeeter models, specifically the MX series. Word on the street is they will be adding a 20' MX model this summer.

I really like what I am seeing here, like I mentioned this is part of a 3+ year plan as this is a very big investment....I have been fishing out of aluminum my entire life, it only took one ride on a glass boat to perk my ears up to make me start looking....i will for sure take my time and do my research on this project....Thanks for the info guys...

Thats just my experience fishing out of a wx2100 and a ranger 620. The skeeter seemed to ride better in my opinion

Yes, the Skeeter WX2100 is a different animal than a Ranger 620. The Skeeter is a 21' boat so it would compare to a 621 better to start with, and it is taller. Both are great boats without a doubt, just a little different. Get a ride in a 2010 or newer 621 and you will absolutly love it. It is a big water crusher!

Is there that much difference? Well, a top of the line aluminum boat is about the same price so not much difference there, but take a ride from the middle of Mille Lacs to any resort you want to go to in a "usual" 20MPH wind in both a quality glass and aluminum boat and you will know the answer. I'm not saying one is going to get you there any faster than the other, but will know the difference.

Yes the wx2100 is bigger than a 620. But even the smaller skeeters are designed taller and a bit deeper keeled I would say. I've also done quite a bit of fishin out of a lund 2150 Baron magnum with and inboard/outboard. I would take the glass ride any day over the lund. And that lund is the biggest you could buy at the time it was made from them. You can just form glass in better ways than you can aluminum to help them ride and throw spray differently.

If you want a ride in a Yar Craft hit me up sometime

I'd be than happy to take you for a ride

pick a windy day..not sure where you are from

but i'm close to a variety of lakes as big as mille lacs (bout 40 mins)

somebody mentioned storage

I dont think you can beat YC for that

mine's a 2095 and the 2 storage compartments in front of the windows

you can put a small child in they are huge

plus rod storage is great i have 20 some rods in my boat and never one one the floor to step on

of course they are now bass cats i can only presume they will maintain

the quaity