• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

board insulation or rolled insulation?

mrklean

Starting to look for some basic materials for a 4x6 perm i wanna build, looks like i could get some free rolled insulation from a friend but wasnt sure which would be better or does it even matter?

rolled as in fiberglass or bubblewrap style

personally you dont need much more than 3/4 inch white styro foam for a house that size.

I don't like to use fiberglass cause to me it sucks up moister and will make your house heavier. but thats just me.

Try none. It's what I use. Luan (sp?) board walls and a small wood burning stove in about a 5x7 house. During the coldest windiest days I would have to keep the fire hot. Normal days have to be careful not to roast yourself out. I've used a Big Buddy in the house before too with no problems.

Stay away from the rolled insulation and go with the board if you use any. I believe it's the closed cell pinkish stuff that doesn't suck up water.

Try nothing on the walls, I sat in a black house last winter that a few pices were missing and couldn't belive how much heat would come in. The only thing would be is to put 3/4" in the roof to stop the dripping water after you turn on the heat.

I would insulate it. Do not use rolled type fiberglass as it will settle over time.

Black walls that transfer the suns heat on a nice sunny day is great. On a cloudy windy day you will be glad to have a little insulation in the walls.

I look at it this way with it insulated it means less gas to heat it and more money for decoys also you may be able to get by with a smaller heater so that means more room for you in a already small quarters, 2c