• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Towing with a smaller truck (ranger)

TurnUpTheFishing

Question

I've got a 4x4 ranger 4l v6, towing capacity around 5500 lbs and was looking at getting into a larger boat (17' glass, 150hp). How much does a loaded boat/motor/trailer like this weigh? Is 2800 lbs loaded a good guess? Could a truck like mine handle it without excessive wear and tear?

11 answers to this question

I think it will probably tow it fine you just need to watch out for shifting if it's an automatic and braking. Out of these two I would worry more about braking than the tranny. Also if it is an automatic, make sure you have a tranny cooler.

I had a V6 Toyota years ago and it pulled my Lund 1800 OK. I never felt I was hurting the engine but I felt it was pushing it. I had a heck of a time passing people and as said above, braking could be an issue. A glass boat is going to weigh more than my alum. I upgraded to a V8 after 1 season of towing with a V6 and gas mileage is better with the V8 when towing. I felt I was pushing my truck and that it would take its toll on it in the long run.

I had our 18' alum boat push my Ranger (back in '97) through intersection. Our trailer didn't have brakes, and the small trucks won't stop too well especially if you need to stop quick. That is what I would be concerned about. Make sure to get trailer brakes and give yourself plenty of room. Good luck!

I had brakes on my trailer and I can honestly tell you that I had absolutely no problem stopping. I put over 140,000 miles on each one of my Rangers. I had no problem passing or running at 80mph either. As far as MPG the manual rocked! 19 MPG pulling that Stratos.

Thanks guys. I figured it could do it just was curious about some first hand experiences. Come to find out Im pulling a 17' aluminum bass boat right now that according to Nada blue book weighs 1100 lbs and it seems an average 17' glass boat is not too much more. Im assuming that value is just the hull though not motor or trailer.

I have been keeping an eye out for a boat/trailer package with trailer brakes but it doesnt seem too common or just nobody mentions it in their ad.

I have an 03 ford explorer sport trac 4.0 V6. I pull a Ranger 518vx with a 200hp. With the trailer breaks stopping is no problem. Accelerating isn't the best but can't afford a new truck. Getting a tranny cooler put in on Monday. I feel I am going to slowly kill my truck

I pull our 18' tracker with a 115 opti with my 07' Colorado with a 3.7L 4x4zz71, and it has plenty, I haven't had any trouble stopping, and as far as power it has plenty also, but it does wind the motor up when it shifts gear when you get on it hard. It hits 6k. Also, it does not have trailer brakes.