• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line.

After a 6 year break from Muskie fishing, I’m ready to get back at it. I recently purchased an 8’ St. Croix Mojo rod and an Abu Garcia 6600 C4. I’ll be mostly throwing Bucktail type lures and topwater…..nothing huge.

I’m out of the loop on what folks are using for line, these days. When I use to Musky fish often, I used Cortland Braided line. I liked it because when I bird nested my bait caster, it was easy to get out. Taking into consideration that I tend to backlash every 100 casts…. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I formerly was religious to 80 and 100 lb powerpro. Now, I almost never put 80 on my rods and instead I use 30 or 50 powerpro. I do this because these super braids really are amazingly strong and abrasion resistant... so why would I use 80 or 100 lb line when 50 or 30 will be more than strong enough (for most baits and presentations) while casting further and being less visible. I know there is definitely a situation where 80 or 100 lb line is necessary, but even saying that I think 30 or 50 is plenty for the vast majority of presentations.

For the most part the reason for the heavier braids is for knot strength and shock resistance. Rear back and try to fire that cowgirl, dawg, medusa or phantom into the wind and backlash- snap. Wow what distance cry Anything under 80 lb braid tends to dig into the spool as well.

the standard 80 lb braid is aproximately the diamiter of the old 30 lb dacron line.

The trend the last 5 years is for longer more powerful rods. You set the hook on a hit close to the boat with that combo and you can break off on the hookset.

Don't take this the wrong way. In certain instances it may be the best line to use. Smaller heavy bass type of outfits and reels that don't have a good line capacity. I would not use it on any current muskie rod that is rated more than Medium Heavy. I am thinking jigs, small cranks ect. Even for big pike situations I would not use anything less than 65 lb braid.

I had a break off using some older 80 lb braid on a hookset 1 year ago. i may have developed a weak spot from a bad backlash or 3 blush I now check my rod guides, line and retie knots more often. I never did see the fish that I broke off on. One big boil hit the surface. I was twitching a 10 inch Slammer minnow bait that fish often t-bone. I doubt that fish ever made it. sick

Good Luck

Steve

I appreciate every word you write Sorgy, And I will definitely be taking your advice. As I wrote my previous post, I looked at my friend Mike, sitting next to me, who is a fellow muskie fisherman, and I quote myself, I said " I hope someone makes me sound uneducated after this post". Thats why I joined this site (= To learn and share advice and experiences.

True story though... Mike just started musky fishing last year, mostly with myself, Im kinda his mentor.... It was late in my fall with perfect steady wind, It was a great chance for him to land his first Muskie. We got on our spot, I handed him a big double dawg. On his first (attempted) cast (somehow) he didn't free his spool, and my brand new dawg went further than a cannon could launch it. That was on 80 PP too( probably a cheap or worn leader).

So in conclusion, I now agree that 80 or 100 lb braid is the right line. I don't need to lose anymore $20/30/40 lures.

I am going of a little experience but there are many guy's with even more experience out there.

On top of the heavier line I have also upped to the size 9 stay loc snaps. the smaller ones are fine with lighter gear but the newer rods and bigger baits need a little more- in my experience.

Good Luck

Steve

p.s. Dennis Lappen from Muskie Inovations (Bulldogs-ect) is going to be our speaker April 17th 7:00 for the North Metro Muskies in chapter in Coon Rapids.

crazy

One of the most common things one sees in a guide boat is people with $400 Reels, $300 rods, Cheap line an $1.99 leaders.

crazy

Also people have $1200 in lures in a $100 box an have no idea how to use them.

Directions NOT inclued.

LOL x 1000

Fun stuff.

80 & 100 Spider wire STEALTH works very well for my needs.

It is stong enuff to hold up a falling bridge, if only for a short time!

grin

Also have lots of old Whiplash...good line but is a flat line so can get buried an fray easy. Good trolling line for smaller to medium lures.

Both lines have great head moving, hook sinking power an carry almost zero water.

Keep on rocken!

T

9-10 years ago I started with 50lb power pro for the first year.. man I can remember some horrific backlashes! It really bit into itself.

I still to this day have never broke my line for any reason at all knock on wood, just keep a good eye on it and retie often and look for fray.

I've heard suffix is good stuff, I have PP 80 and Vicious 80 on my reels right now, they are about the same in every way. The PP is going on it's 3rd year and the Vicious on it's 2nd.

I used Tuffline for many years, its great line,Ive switched to Masterbraid and dont think I'll go back. Its great line that wont throw a drop of water (nice when its 25 deg out.

I make my own leaders with #100 swivel and a split ring, never a snap anymore. Snaps and #50 pound line have cost me allot of money if you get a birdsnest or line override.

#80 and split rings, also with rings your baits (especially jerks and glides) get better action.