• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flasher on the boat

hamms-scooter

For years I ran my fl-8 on my boat. I now have the fl-20 and ran it on my boat for the first time a couple weeks ago. I wanted to use the AZ mode but with the waves rocking the boat it kept updating itself and I had to constantly switch it back to normal then back to az... I may look for a used fl-18 with bottom lock. That drove me crazy. I ended up using the 20 in normal mode after a while... I am still trying to get used to the glare off of the flatscreen. So different from the backlit fl-18 screen I was used to. You guys running marcum flashers in your boat have to switch back and forth from zoom to normal like that?

I never ran my marcum LX3tc on my boat but I am planning to put the LX 7 in the boat this year. I just need to pick up the open water transducer kit for it. I will report later in the year on how the LX7 preformed during the open water season.

full-31888-19473-153.jpg

It was a calm day on wednesday and couldn't think of a better way to use the flasher. This was my first time with the flasher on the boat and I really liked it. My question is, would you be able to put on say a 1/2 oz jig, go 0.5 mph and still be able to keep it within the cone angle if you had say a 8' jigging rod adjusting for direction/speed?

Just so no one gets their undies in a wad, I was using a 1/16 jig and a crappie minnow. It was cold and the crappies were deep...18-20 FOW

If you have a 19 or 20 degree cone you might be able to.. Usually needs to be as vert as possible to be effective. I use my flasher 95 percent of the time in my boat and love it. My dads graph went down last year the day before opener so I rigged my vex to his boat and off to mille lacs we went. I would have to say one of the main benefits to the flasher on the bow as you have it is to read a weed line. Bouncing your bow over the edge and over the weeds keeping you on that line. It also reads through the weeds better then other sonar giving you true bottom.

I've been thinking about doing this also. Mostly because my cheapo depth finder doesn't give a depth reading when I'm moving fast across the lake. Does anyone know if a FL8 Vex flasher will give readings at 10+ MPH?