• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012-2013 Gophers

Scott M

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough to watch another slow start, yes Dre sat for way too long. They've habitually put themselves in big holes and you can't do that in the tournament. They needed a consistent aggressive effort from start to finish and only did so in spurts.

Tom Powers framed the discussion fairly well in his Pioneer Press column.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Gophers had a lot of problems with defending screens, on and off ball, and rotations. Florida didn't have near the problems and ate a lot of clock by double teaming the ball on defense. I think Donovan is a pretty good coach - if they replayed the game and switched coaches, I could see Donovan drawing up a win.

ESPN.com

Minnesota has fired coach Tubby Smith, deciding to buy out the remaining four years of his contract a day after the Gophers' ouster Sunday in the NCAA tournament's Round of 32 with a loss to Florida, CBSSports.com has reported.

The Gophers had signed Smith, 61, to a three-year extension through the 2016-17 season in July.

Tubby Smith

Smith

He is making close to $2 million annually, with a $600,000 base salary plus 5 percent annual raises he's been entitled to since 2008 and supplemental compensation of $1.2 million.

The former Kentucky coach's contract states if his deal is terminated before April 30, 2016, the university will pay one-half of his base salary and supplemental compensation for each of the remaining seasons on the contract. The total amount cannot exceed $2.5 million.

The 11th-seeded Gophers were 21-13 and 8-10 in the Big Ten after the 78-64 loss to the No. 3 seed Gators.

In 2012, they finished with 23 victories, the most by the program since the 1996-97 Final Four season that was later erased by NCAA punishment, but they needed a run to the NIT championship game to get there.

From the Pioneer Press:

Gophers senior forwards Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams are hoping to impress teams to get selected in next month’s draft, but only one of them will be attending the NBA pre-draft camp in Chicago on May 16-17.

Mbakwe was among the list of 61 participants for the draft combine released Thursday (NBA combine invites). Also included were former Gophers and Colorado State center Colton Iverson, Bucknell center Mike Muscala from Roseville, Minn., and South Dakota State point guard Nate Wolters from St. Cloud.

Not surprised Williams didn't get invited, he regressed if anything his senior year. I am still scratching my head over how Tubby could misjudge Iverson so much. No idea why he loved RSIII over him.

No kidding. To coach a kid 3 years and not realize that talent that was in there is deplorable for a coach. I am a Tubby hater from way back. Just one more inexcusable thing he did on the job.

I sure hope that Pit does better. I am keeping an open mind on him.

I gotta believe he left cuz he knows he cant shoot the 3. That is something Pitino has said they will do. They will run, press and shoot the 3, so I bet Joe saw the writing on the wall.

Wouldn't be surprised. A guard/wing that can't hit a 3 in D1 college is very limited, unless they can consistently create their own shot and get to the basket. Disappointing he hasn't been able to develop one.

Tonight's NBA draft saw Mike Muscala, Nate Wolters, and Colton Iverson get drafted, while Trebor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams watched from home. During Rodney's freshman season he was projected as a lottery pick. Tells you a lot about what happened under Tubby.