• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

killing cable tv and moving to the 21st century.

bobbymalone

Question

So I've been thinking about saving some money on my $140 a month tv/internet bill by killing the TV and just moving to online streaming.

We are talking about going from $140 a month to about $50. That includes the internet price and the cost for netflix and hulu+. Netflix can stream in 1080p and I think hulu is 720p so I'm not overly concerned about picture quality.

Anybody do this? I know I'll miss some Twins games and hockey but I won't miss the 280 channels of pure carp that I'm currently paying for. Most of the time when I watch TV I'm just watching re-runs anyways. And I'll still have the bunny ears for the local stations.

Just looking for opinions from people that have done this or are thinking about it.

so how fast does your internet service have to be? do you keep the cable internet service or what. i'm not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to this!!!!

I have a 12mb dal and run the roku and two other devices at the same time with no issues.

I've have a brand new Roku sitting in the box. I got it as a gift for doing some free consulting work. I've got Charter cable hooked up on 4 TVs. 2 have HD and premium channels and 2 have a basic feed. Will the Roku work without interfering with the Cable?

The roku will be added to the tv through either a HDMI cable or RCA cables. When you want to use the roku you will switch the tv to the input that the roku is plugged into.

Is there a service that allows you to stream current content? It looks like Roku is a handful of random older seasons of a few shows. Maybe I'm missing something.

Yes and no.

Hulu plus will have some current content the day after it airs on the network. There are no current streaming big name networks......yet. It's still a baby at this point but it is growing fast. With that said there is a channel that offers live network tv to the men and women in the armed forces but only if they are out of the country. So I know the technology is there, it's the legal stuff thatis holding it back.