• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auto-Bilge Pump

TruthWalleyes

I'm in process of remodeling my boat, new floors, wiring, etc..

I was planning on just running my bilge off of a switch like before, but i passed over an AUTO BILGE pump at FF the other day and i'm wondering if you guys recommend installing this switch. I'm assuming its just a float in an enclosure with a switch.

I will leave a small space in the floor like before so the bilge pump is visible as well as the water level, but i think an auto bilge switch might be kind of nice.

What are your thoughs on auto bilge?

Thanks,

Wouldn't leave home without an auto switch on my bilge pump. I was at Lose a Fortune Bay (Vermillion) during the 4th of July blowdown and it saved my boat. The boat next to mine did not have an auto switch and sank at the dock. The boat was capsized, laying on it's side with one side tied to the dock and the other under water.

Ruined their week for sure.

I set mine on a three way. Wire the float directly to the battery so it is independent plus keep the manual switch on the dash.

There are some that don't use float, but use an intermittent electrical check for water (basically turn on for a second every few minutes). They will draw down battery. I know that one from experience. Get the float one. Good luck!

I always use the AUTO bilge.Some come with 3 wires and can be wired as AUTO and Manual, off a switch.These seem smartest,The auto kicks in with 2-3 inches of water.Thats fine while docked,When on the water the manual switch can be used to get the water down to about 1/4 inch.

I have one here that is to big for a 14ft boat.Its a 750 Gal per minute,the smaller 500 GPM is what I wanted.I wont be using this one.

My Navigator came with a regular pump - not auto. Two summers ago while up on Vermilion, we got anywhere from 7-11 inches of rain overnight (depending on who you believe). I went down at the crack of dawn to find water up to the interior sides of my boat. It took 1.5hrs to pump it out. My neighbor's boat dunked the motor.

I'm putting an auto on this spring.

They do make a micro switch instead of the float that is more dependable and more expensive. The problem with a float is sometimes they stick, either up and run your battery down if you don't catch it or down and won't turn on. I talked to the guy at LOW marine and he said a lot of the resorts are putting the micro switches instead of the floats.

Definately go with the auto bilge. You only need it to do its job once to be totally worth it!

One my previous boats had a small leak in it, I think it was a combination of a couple loose rivets, and a small leak around one of the intake fittings. It was a slow leak and would take several hours before enough water came in to trigger the auto bilge, but it was really nice to have the auto bilge for two weeks every year when I took a trip and left my boat in the water 100% of the time.

I have only launched two boats where we didn't put the plug in them .... both times we thought the other guy checked the plug ..... and both times the auto bilge kicked in right away and let us know what was going on so we could fix it, before the carpet even got wet ..... not to mention tackle, clothes, etc. Maybe not the primary reason to go with an autobilge, but a nice added benefit for sure!

I appreciate the replies guys. I'll go with an auto bilge that has the float, and i will also make sure that i can run the bilge manually...

"You only need it to do its job once to be totally worth it!"

^^Great response and after hearing some sinking boat stories i'll have to agree that an auto bilge is a good investment.

My only concern with adding an auto, is if it malfunctions and i NEED the bilge, that i might be in trouble...But as long as i can wire it so it can be ran in auto or manual i've got no worries.

Thanks

I appreciate the replies guys. I'll go with an auto bilge that has the float, and i will also make sure that i can run the bilge manually...

"You only need it to do its job once to be totally worth it!"

^^Great response and after hearing some sinking boat stories i'll have to agree that an auto bilge is a good investment.

My only concern with adding an auto, is if it malfunctions and i NEED the bilge, that i might be in trouble...But as long as i can wire it so it can be ran in auto or manual i've got no worries.

Thanks

The brand name I have used with manual and auto is RULE-MATE bilge.Its not 750 GPM its 750 Gal.Per Hour.I had to go look it sounded like a fire hose at 750 GPM

FWIW - I had a big boat on the WFC come by and hit us with HUGE wake while we were beached on an island. So much water came over the stern (18' walleye boat, 20" transome) that it took looooong looooooooooongggg time for one 750 gph bilge pump to get it all out. After that, we installed a second bilge. Both in case one went out, but also so that, if you are on big water, and you ever NEED a bilge, just one isn't going to help you, IMHO.

We now have two in our 18' boat, and two in our 16' duck boat/fishing boat. One auto and one normal in each. If we stayed on small lakes all the time, one would be fine. Good luck!

I have two in mine. One auto wired straight off the battery and one regular through the consul switch. I have had the occasion to have them both running during a torrential down pour. One wouldn't have kept up.

For those that are running 2 bilge pumps, are they plumbed together or

seperate

I did it separate, with second running up with outboard cables, down splashwell, and over the edge. Clear tube, so not too bad looking. Used a 90 coming out of "rubber thing" so it didn't stick straight up.

My last few boats have had 2 bilge pumps, one automatic bilge and one manual switch bilge. I bought a used boat that had been used by a guide on the Great Lakes and there was a Coast Guard requirement that he have 2 bilge pumps. I thought it was a great idea so I've gone with 2 ever since.

Make sure they are plumbed seperately. If you plumb them together you risk turning them into recirculating pumps instead of bilge pumps laugh