• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best place to sell/trade guns

I need to sell a couple guns and buy one new one. Anyone have any recommendations for a shop here or with an hour drive of the metro. What is the best way to determine fair market value before going to the shop.

ALmans always has a big collection of used guns and new guns so I am assuming that

they trade and buy guns. I am guessing it is a lot like Pawn Brokers or American Pickers on TV, the shops are going to offer you about half of what it is worth or less, they want and need to make as much of a profit from the sale of your used gun. They aren't your buddy or a relative who is going to give you fair market prices.

If you are looking to sell them quick and not get a lot for them, go to a dealer or gun shop, if you are looking to sell them and get a fair deal, put an ad here at HSO on HSOLIST.COM The Ad is free and you will sell your items.......

That's just my thoughts on it, I could be wrong, but taking them to a business, they are looking to turn a profit, not lose money

i believe scheels in kato gives 75% of what they think they can sell the gun for... and that has been true of ones I have traded in... which i think is pretty fair for trade value... not sure on selling outright, I know they will buy them from you without a trade, but my guess is that is a little lower as they are not selling you a new one in return...

+ 1 on what picksbigwagon said.

Your best value is to try and sell them out right. Gun shops and the like are there to make money so you will not get what you feel it is worth.

They may give you fair price if your buying a gun but you could be money ahead if sell them out right and then you also have a bargining chip when you have cash in hand when buying also. 2c

I always shoot for 80% of the retail. Scheels in Eau Claire has been good to me in the past, but its about an hour away. You have to take into account the driving time and gas money. I've sold a couple privately, and have had good luck. I've also bought them online, and not had much of a problem. I will say that the online auctions have been very high priced lately compared to the stores, especially if you add in the shipping and cost of having the background check done at an FFL dealer. The websites like auctionarms and gunbroker will give you a good ballpark estimate though, but like I said, I feel they are pricing their guns $50-$100 more than the retail stores on used firearms and that is not including shipping and the FFL fee.

I'm throwing a bunch of my guns on an auction in a month. Big auction in a town, hope to do well, last year my uncle sold a semi-auto 2 3/4 only remington and it went for $550.00. I wouldn't have given him 50 cents for it. Hope the same crew of bidders is back this year. I'm unclear as to how much of the 550 went to the auction service. I'll be curious to see what my rem. 870 synthetic pump 3.5" brings, it's never been fired. If I get 250 for it I could handle that,as I bought several of them at cabela's grand opening in rogers for $239.00 a piece a few years ago. But, auctions can be a bit scary if you don't get to your willing to take low dollar amount, this auction will literally have hundreds and hundreds of people attending.

the rule of thumb I use when dealing with shops is they will give you 50% of new and then mark it up to 70 to 75% of new. of course this only applies to guns still in production. for out of production ones price them on the firearms sites mentioned and that would be the selling price range for shops so figure 20% less than that. most shops need to make 20 to 30% on used firearms. Alhmans is a very good shop to deal with. Bruce will give you the best price since he is their head sales and buying guy. I know him personally and he has been far with the stuff I sold him when I lived in the area.

Hi, all. I am new to the sight and the discussion caught my eye. I own a small gun shop in Forest Lake MN and as such have a great interest in buying and selling guns whether one at a time or a whole collection. Obviously when I buy a gun I am looking to make money as buying and selling used guns is the center of my business.

When I buy or trade guns I don't use a set formula like the big box stores in my area who use the Blue Book and give at best 60% of an 80% rating. For example if you were to win a brand new gun at a raffle and took it into the big store they would rate it at 80% condition and pay 60% of the blue book value of that condition.

I however look at what a particular gun has sold for in the last three months to establish an actual market value. Just like when you buy or sell a house you look at that particular property compared to what similar ones are selling for at that current time, not what a book says the value shold be. I then then adjust down between 20 and 25 percent. If you want to trade I typically will adjust down about 15%. If you don't want to have strangers coming to your house to look at your guns I would be happy to take a look at them and give you a fare price on them.

I always have a wide variety of new and used guns on hand if you are looking for something new so stop in sometime and say hi. [Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]