• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1650 fishhawk

Mr. Wizard

I bought a new 1650 crestliner fishhawk and it has a 60HP 4 stroke on it. I can upgrade still to a bigger motor before I pick it up. I am wondering if I should upgrade to a 75 HP opti or 4 stroke...I don't think I need the 90 HP? I will use it almost only for fishing and will mostly use the electric bowmount for trolling.

This is just my opinion, but I would go bigger if its rated for it, I assume it is. For one thing if it is rated for a 90 and you go with a 60, your leaving 1/3 of the power out of the equation. I tend to think that's a fair amount. The other thing I'd consider is resale value down the road.

You should max it out if you are ever going to resell it. Underpowered used boats don't sell as well. There are plenty of used boats with max hp. I have an FH 1750 with 115hp. Do I need 115? No, not the vast majority of time, but there are times when it is darn handy. Did I look at boats with 90's? Not for long when I saw comparable prices with 115's. If you are NEVER going to resell, get what you want. But, more hp gets you out of situations quicker and safer. Also, a bigger motor strains less and will actually be easier on a motor, reducing overall wear and tear and chances of a wear-related breakdown with normal care as well as save you gas. Of course if you go WOT all the time, gas savings is moot.

I agree.

I own a 1650 Fish hawk - 2003 model.

I have a 75HP Merc on it and love it!

I sometimes wish I had a 90HP - but then again sometimes not. It would be a little more heavy and might not troll down like my 75 does...but who knows maybe the newer 4 stroke 90's will.

Either way...60Hp is WAY too under powered for that boat. Will it work? Sure! But will you wish you had a 75 or 90 a year down the line...probably.

Think of it this way get the Max HP rated for your boat and use 2/3 of the power and you will have a less tired engine down the road a under powered boat is no good when the weather turns to &%$# and you can't blaze across the lake for safety

Think of it this way get the Max HP rated for your boat and use 2/3 of the power and you will have a less tired engine down the road a under powered boat is no good when the weather turns to &%$# and you can't blaze across the lake for safety

I'm sure you will hear a lot about maxing your motor out. I think the 60hp will serve you fine if your using it to fish.

You could upgrade the motor and increase your speed by 4 or 5mph and spend about a grand + to do it. Think of it this way, if your a mile or two from the dock and your friend has a 90hp and you have your 60hp your friend will get to the dock about 30 Seconds before you. If that is important to you then go with the 90hp. If not the 60hp you work great and if you like to troll is will troll done better than the 90hp.

If you decide to upgrade, I suggest you stay with a 4 Stroke.

I think the 4 Strokes will help when selling your boat down the road or if upgrading in the future.

Either way you will have a great boat and motor package what ever you decide to do.

Here's how prices Break Down:

60HP 4 Stroke 5850.00

75HP 4 Stroke 7025.00

90HP 4 Stroke 7400.00

75HP Opti 6750.00

90HP Opti 7200.00

Mike

I own a 1650 FishHawk with a 90hp 2 stroke Mercury I am looking to upgrade.Newer boat got quotes with 4 stroke

But 90hp goes around 40 mph perfect day....Plenty of power

You can buy a Troll down switch and mount it to your dash on a 75hp to 115 hp Mercury 4 stroke. It will allow you to troll down to 650 RPM it cost around $120

I got this from a dealer

Here is a picture of the switch that my tech had told us about. This picture shows the unit that mounts new the control box and has a Y cable that just plugs in and away you go !! no REWIRING just plug and play deal and has a round bezel to install !! full-20417-18759-switch.jpg

For the prices listed - if you are for sure going to go to a higher mph - to me it would be a no-brainer to go from a 75 to the 90.

Its not much of a price difference.

The jump from a 60 to a 75 or 90 is much greater.

But if your for sure going to go to higher - might as well go all the way with the 90.

I had a 1650 fish hawk and sold it because it was under powered. With two people in the boat it was fine but not great. With three people it was hard to get on plane if it was not calm. Full tank of gas or water in the livewells and I wanted to scream. I can't say I saved any money when I had to buy a new boat to meet my needs. Now I have more power and rarely run WOT.

If you are concerned now more power is the way to go.

Good choice. The displacement difference between a 50/60 and 75/90 is quite large. You will notice much better planing performance with a 75/ 90. They are identical BTW with the exception of an air restrictor and ECM that programs different fuel curves. Pretty easy to make that 75 a 90 if you ever wanted to.