• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How long will my bullheads last??

Pool_Eleven

I unfortunatly dont have a livewell in my boat so i was just gonna use a 5 gallon bucket to haul my bullies around. I know they can last quite awhile without an areator going but wasnt sure how long. Will they last without one if i pull an all nighter?

I went out today and caught a few of them also. I remember reading something about waiting to put them in the bait tank because of them making a mess of the water. How long should i wait on that?

Thanks!

I don't fish with bullheads for cats. However I have did some remote trips with live bait without my normal boat and bait well. I got a hand pump from a local pet store and was able to pump out 1/2 the water and add new water to refill it routinely. Just make sure your not using water from one lake to another. It does give them fresh water tough and the live awhile.

I might think about buying a cheaper cooler like a 48 quart or a bit larger with an aerator to help keep your bullies alive.

I think that the larger cooler would serve you well versus the 5 gallon pail.

Maybe an older one or one from a gargare sale for a few bucks.

I run 5 gal pails in the boat with aerators, I use the pail lid with a 1" hole in the middle so the water doesn't spill all over. At home I use a rubbermaid tote with a elec aerator. They last a long time if you change out the water every couple days (depending on how many are in the tank) I never change water on my 5 gal buckets on a overnight on the river. If I do I have to leave the bait and that isn't going to happen!

Im thinking i like the cooler idea a bit better than the bucket. I have an older one laying around and it would be a good climate control for the bullies if i wanted to leave a few hours early and chase some channels around before dark. With an aerator by the sounds of things.