• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TICKS

GFNER

Just a heads up, the ticks are out already. Just had my dog in the woods in No. Anoka Co. and picked off his first tick! Experts are predicting a bumper crop due to the mild winter. I hate using Frontline (poison) but I'll probably breakdown this year.

Had the argument last night with my wife, she took the dogs for a walk, I asked where the clothes she wore were, she said in our bedroom!!! I said no more, our rule during tick season is take your clothes off in the garage, nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night with a tick crawling on you!! During prime tick season, I can go for a walk in our CRP and watch tick races up my pants legs!! With this 60+ weather, they WILL be out. Time for the Frontline!!

Hey all

Just curious. Went to the pet store tonight to get frontline plus. They said that the K9advantix was overall better because it repels and also kills. Wheeras the frontline plus just kills?

I just wanted to make sure I got something decent. Last year, I used a cheapo brand and it didnt work. My dog got bit and contracted anaplasmosis and almost didnt make it.

So just curious to know if anyone has used this product. Its made by Bayer.

Thanks!

Hoffer

We have never used K9Advantix. We have always used Frontline Plus and it has always worked for us, so we never had a reason to change. We have never found any kind of flea or tick, so we keep using what has worked for us. My theory: if it works, don't fix it! All our breeder friends use Frontline too.

I used frontline on my two labs, my older lab (3 yrs) gets so sick from it I stopped using it one both of them. We don't have the issues with the ticks you all do but still do have them. I hate putting the poison on them but may have to if it gets too bad.

I used frontline on my two labs, my older lab (3 yrs) gets so sick from it I stopped using it one both of them. We don't have the issues with the ticks you all do but still do have them. I hate putting the poison on them but may have to if it gets too bad.

I would definately try Advantix in your case; it uses different chemicals. No way I would use something I knew made my dogs sick. If you have a cat in the house, be sure to read the special instructions. Advantix is toxic to cats, which is another reason we don't use it, because we have a cat.

My intuition was right, went for a walk last night with my two labs, when I was brushing them later on, two black dots showed up on my yellow (almost white) lab. Sure enough, two small ticks!! Treated them with Frontline last night. Never had a problem with my dogs getting sick from it, but was watching the pup this morning, it was her first time, she seemed fine.

Now if they just had something for humans...

Now I am a little worried the K9 advantix II might be too harsh on the little dog. The pet store recommended it because it is both repels and kills. I just didnt want to take any chances this year after the anaplasmosis scare last year. She has been OK so far - and I applied it last night. If the dog does get sick from it - does anyone know if it would usually be right away - or can she still get sick down the road a few days from now?

Thanks.

I've used advantix over the past 5 years and haven't had problems with it. I've heard that typically a dog will have a reaction to a topical within a few hrs to 6 hrs after application as the chemicals are absorbed. Typical signs of a reaction are usually extreme laziness, loss of balance, vomiting or just lethargic.

Well so far so good. She seems to tolerate the K9 advantix. I know we are not vets here on the board - but my next concern is for the next dose next month. Can I assume if she tolerated it this month - she will next month as well?

finally found some k9 advantix yesterday, used frontline last year and was disappointed with them still biting and being able to transfer diseases, heard good things with k9. when i was at the vet a few weeks ago they were telling me about frontline's new product, certifect, supposed to kill ticks within 12 hours instead of 24 reducing the chance of disease transfer, but after reading some reviews, i still opted for k9; another tip for us humans is to designate some outdoor pants and spry them with the premethrin spray, its supposed to repel ticks alot better than typical deet sprays, and it lasts for weeks even after washes.