• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alabama Rigs

So...I just looked at the regs after my 1st post. One could say, based on the ability to have 4 hooks on one line per one lure...that the Alabama Rig is one lure. I know my answer to be as vague as my interpretation of the rules laugh

Usually catching a lot of fish is not that tough up there but when it is that rig might make the difference. We've caught two smallies on the same lure before but 4 at once would be more weird than fun.

So you're saying a lure with four treble hooks is not legal in Minnesota?

A lure is considered "one" unit. The law is, one hook per line, or one lure.

But when the issue of Alabama rigs; or "Umbrella" lures; came up, they ruled "No". They consider that multiple hooks on a line, not a single lure. I suppose the tenuous logic being that each swimbait on an individual hook of an A-rig is an individual lure.

Last year, the law was as it is, without specifically naming A-rigs as illegal, but if you inquired with the DNR, they would tell you no way.

This year, they are mentioned specifically as illegal.

No "need", just wondering. With some #5 Mepps and mister twister jigs you can catch almost anything that swims up there. Although there are tough days on every lake.