• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with a checklist?

that_guy

Okay folks,

Little background. I have recently acquired an aluminum boat with a 15hp game fisher motor from my dad. No thrills or extras, it's literally a boat with a motor.

The motor is currently at the mechanic, getting run through as it hasn't been run in 10yrs. I got a call saying it ran yesterday, so that is not of concern, it just needs a new throttle linkage and it'll be good to go.

My question is this. What do I need to be concerned about or need to go over in order to make sure my first trip doesn't end in a failure? Here is my current list. Is there anything I'm missing?

Boat stuff:

1)Make sure undersides of seats aren't filled with nests or anything obnoxious like that

2)Check plug for fit and seal

3) get license updated

Trailer:

1) New tires

2) replace/grease bearings

3) test wiring and lights

4) test winch

4) get license updated

anything else?

Here's a few off the top of my head.

Fresh Gas, clean old gas tank or purchase new one. Check fuel lines for cracks. 2 stroke oil. Extra spark plug.

Maybe an extra shear pin for prop.

Congrats on your boat.

Mike

Here are a couple more things that may help you stay out of trouble

1.Test boat lights if you go out and night

2.Life Jackets

3.A throwable devices if 16 feet or over

4.A whistle or horn capable of producing a continuous sound for two sec-

onds and audible for at least one-half mile

5.A fire extinguisher

Congrats

anchor, emergency medical kit (band aids, suncreen, gauze,) pliers, screw driver, multi-tool (or similar). one thing i would highly recommend is first time you go out in it, go with the intention of "learning the boat" with fishing as bonus. learn using the motor, learn how the boat handles & moves, and check out every square inch with a flashlight in dark corners looking for any possible cracks or leaking. if you take a trip or 2 out just learning the boat & equipment, and checking for any issues, your fishing trips may be that much more efficient and chances of any unexpected issues or problems will be greatly reduced.

Excellent folks! Thank you all very much for the speedy responses! I will call the mechanic shortly to make sure he takes care of the parts for the motor.

The rest of the stuff is things I'm sure I would have gotten taken care of eventually, but its helpful to know up front.

Thanks again! I will keep checking in to see if my list is any longer.

If this is a tiny 12 or 14' aluminum boat, you could also consider putting in oar locks and oars instead of just a paddle. That way if the motor does carp out, it'll be much easier and faster to get back to the dock. Oars are also a nice way to get to sensitive fishing spots. Cut the motor and then use oars to get close to your fish spot.