• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Foreman vs. Grizzly

mnmofro

I am in the market for my first ATV. Right now I am down to the Foreman and the Grizzly, if anyone has any thoughts on the two I would appreciate it. I would use the atv for 80% ice fishing and dog training, otherwise just some trail riding etc. Not looking for bashing of one brand, but if you have anything I might want to consider that would be great. Thanks

Honestly you can't go wrong with either. These are 2 of the best Utility ATVs on the market in my opinion. I have a Honda Foreman. It is tough and reliable. Has never let me down and has gotten me to anywhere without a problem. If you haul a trailer The Foreman solid axle would be my choice. If not the Yamaha ride would be a bit nicer on rough terrain because of the 4 wheel Independant Suspension. A locking Diff on the Yamaha would be nice. With that said. I have never needed it yet since owning my Foreman. Good luck! You can't go wrong with either brand. Sit on them, ride them if you can and pick the one which jumps out at you. or the one you can get a better deal on.

My two (novice) cents... I have a '03 Foreman I just got this year. I like it a lot, and so far have only used it for ice fishing. I can't believe how much I like it, more than I thought I would coming from sleds. Still love the sleds, but the ATV with rear drop rack and front auger carrier is AWESOME! But that could be any ATV. But the foreman has worked great.

Friends who are big farmers in NoDak use only Honda atv's for their "work" and chores. They have another brand too, but noone ever wants to use that one, they say it sits most of the time. So take that FWIW, but they use and abuse the heck out of them for strictly work purposes, and they keep on ticking. Good luck, I like all of them, got the one I did for the deal I got on it, and no complaints (tho only had since December...).

I've had a foreman for about 9 years, never had many problems but I plow some driveways with it and putting it in reverse is a hassle. That may be a different use than you've got in mind but when I get a new one that will be on my list of "wants" due to using reverse a lot in that situation.

Reading the previous post jogged my memory that all farmers that I hunt with are Honda guys. Always seemed odd to me that they'd have Hondas but maybe they are on to something.

I've had a foreman for about 9 years, never had many problems.........

Reading the previous post jogged my memory that all farmers that I hunt with are Honda guys. Always seemed odd to me that they'd have Hondas but maybe they are on to something.

All you have to do is read your own post to know why. smirk

Possibly your reverse lockout is improperly adjusted causing it to be a problem. I can get mine into reverse before I even come to a stop if I want to, but doing so is tough on any transmission. I plow a lot with mine and never found it to be a problem whatsoever, but thats just me. I'd be interested in what model would be easier to put in reverse since most require you to take your hand off of the handle bars.

I just sold my 08 Grizzly 700 late fall... I bought a plow for my pickup instead in hopes to make some money... Well, I'm still not making money, and If I had to buy one again, it would be a grizzly 700... Very nice machine, ZERO issues, and it was rode pretty hard... I pretty well put it through every test a guy should with a quad...

Most people who have yamahoppers i talk to like them. Most people I know who have hondas like them...

both very good bikes and very reliable, but i would go Yamaha grizzly. i have the 2009 550 EFI and love it. Its cheaper than that honda and you get more for the $ like locking diff which honda doesn't have. i use mine for trail riding, icefishing and plowing and it does it all with better ground clearance than a honda. Honda's are very good, but grizzly's are better IMO.

My dad has a '98 honda thats never had a problem besides putting new tires on and the brake stuck once...other then that the thing has been perfect...and still is!

I have a '09 foreman. Very simply machine that requires very little maintenance. That is something I wanted cause I hate going up north to have to work on my toys. Rougher ride then most but it will be the most reliable toy you can find. Mine also is cold blooded as heck but just needs to be primed (which is in a horrible place). Hondas do have less ground clearance then most also. Used mine plenty on the ice with no problems what so ever. Pulls my beast of a fish house with no problems. Not trying to switch your opinion but if mostly going to be used on the ice, the Rancher is one heck of a bullet proff machine as well for less.

Brother has a grizzle that is a back firing machine. Burns oil. Been in the shop 6 times and nothing never got fixed. He gave up bringing it in but it's been running fine if you can handle a shot gun blast shooting out the muffler every now and then!

My brothers is more then likely a fluke but thats my results with both brands.

06 foreman we bought brand new. honda makes great wheelers very reliable and last a long time. I havent looked much but i think, and would hope, that there were changes since 2006 so I dont know much about the new ones. my uncle has a 86 fourtrax that fell off the trailer doing 60 on the highway in the 90's. started right up and drove fine after bending the handle bars back. still runs today.

Ive heard you can "bypass" the reverse button by wiring something down. then all you have to do is pull the brake and kick it down without having to hold the button down at the same time