• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flag at half-staff

RiverFish

Governor Christie ordered Flags to be at half-staff in honor of Whitney Houston.

Is this not the standard etiquette for flying the US flag at half-staff? I don't agree with his choice to fly the flat at half-staff.

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

Not too soon for me. I saw a txt message with the same pic McGurk. Made me laugh a little. Then again I'm said to have a sick sense of humor.

IMO the flag should not be lowered to 1/2 staff for celebrities. Especially those that essentially kill themselves.

Christie was quick to respond, tweeting: "Flag being lowered for her cultural contributions as an artist & New Jerseyan. Her struggles w/substance abuse r a diff topic."

This really diminishes the significance of lowering the flag to half-staff.

This really diminishes the significance of lowering the flag to half-staff.

Not only this incident.

This subject has been bothering me for a while now...seems like the flag is up and down more than an elevator and like you said, it diminishes the significance of the event.

Well, coke was confirmed, and she was alive when she went under in the bathtub. Loads of other drugs found in her system (although not from that night) and plenty of prescription meds found in the room. Funny how there was no coke found in the room; cover-up for a star?

I guess Christie has to pull this half-staff stunt for every drug abuser that dies from their own actions...

Well, he was being mentioned as a possible Romney VP nominee....

I never thought he would take it but when and if asked people usually accept. I would guess that may be off the table.