• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickled Pike

fishadb

Click on this link and you find what your looking for

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2764650/Pickled_Northern#Post2764650

I have built my own recipe thru several recipes over the last year and I think I finally perfected mine or at least what I am looking for in a pickled pike recipe. I will post In a little while but I have to do the taste test first. Thats the best part of it.

The recipe that I posted is great(ask archery sniper he couldnt stop eating it) but I tweeked a bit and think its better now.

Ok here is the new and improved recipe it not alot differnet than the one I posted on the cooking forum but it does have sutble changes and tha taste is much better IMO not that the other wasnt I just always try to improve a recipe but I think this what Iwill use from here on out.

I use this with the frozen fish fillets as stated from the artical above with great results

Cut fish into desired size for pickling -mine are 1-2 inch pieces

This recipe is for 2-3 quarts of fish

1 cup tender quick dissolved into a gallon of water

Put fish into this mixture

soak for 24 hrs in refrigerator stirring occasionally

After 24 hrs Rinse fish off with cold water and return to clean pail and cover with vinegar.

Let stand for 24 hrs in refrigerator

Pour liquid into container rinse off fish with cold water and let fish sit in cold water for 2 hours

After this fish is ready for brine

Brine

2. cups white vinegar ... I have used the Vinegar that the fish were soaking in and that works well if you want to use that. Less waste

2 cups Silver Satin Wine

2 cups white sugar

1 tbls of pickling spices

1/2 tsp mustard seed

5-7 full cloves

5-7 full bay leaves

Add onions to taste along with jalapeños, cauliflower, green beans, olives and whatever else you might like to the jars

Mix 1 cup vinegar and the other liquids together along with the sugar

then take 1 cup of vinegar and put in a small pan and add all spices and bring to a boil for a minuet stiring and dont let it burn

After this is done add it to the other liquids that you have mixed up

Once mixture is cooled pour over fish that you have place in jars with onions and such.

let sit in refrigerator for 5-7 days

Then enjoy

Geez Gordie, I GOTTA go get me some pike before the season closes. I've been craving some pickled fish for quite a while now. Your recipe gives me a little more insentive to get 'er done. Wish I could join you at the GTG this weekend. frown