• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North Metro Training Groups for Pointing Dogs?

charliepete

Are there any training clubs for pointing breeds in the North Metro? I trained my first 2 shorthairs with the Southern Minnesota Pointers club and it was nice because they met regularly and had access to birds etc. I'm now in Maple Grove and would like to find something similar for the new pup. I'm an experienced dog handler, but you can't really work a check cord, shoot the gun, run the release traps by yourself.

I don't think that NAVHDA gets together like that. They do have training sessions that ppl get together for, but you have to pay for those. Most are over at Kelly Farms. If you want to run by yourself and train there (Kelly Farms) you have to pay a $200 access fee, but getting birds would be tough. That's my understanding because I was a member awhile back.

I would be glad to help you out, I'm over in Hanover. I have a wirehair and have been though this rodeo before by myself and it's not fun.

Shoot me an email at my user name @yahoo.com.

Really? All the Red River Valley NAVHDA chapter training days are free to members (membership is a whopping $20). Wonder why Minnesota's is different...

MNHuntress, whereabouts in Hanover do you live? I grew up in Corcoran and went to Hanover Elementary School. My folks actually live in Hanover now. Small world! I take Remy on runs when I go down to visit, so if you see a GWP dragging a runner down the road, stop and say hi!

Rundrave-That local Navhda group you have there in Sioux Falls is a great group, I have never seen better! I got my wirehair from Dan G. and I ran AKC tests out there last year and I have never seen a group that is that committed, you can borrow traps, training nights, great training grounds, you name it. Consider yourself very lucky to have that.