• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mercury 115

huntercj

I just purchased a 17 foot lund with a 2008 115 mercury four stroke on it. The motor has 93 hours on it depending who i talked some told me its high hours and some told me its low hours. I am new to mercury motors, my old boat had a 60 hp yamaha two stroke on it. Just wondering how reliable these motors are or if there are problems to watch for, its still got 15 months of factory waranty on the engine.

Depends on how it was used. 98 hours would be considered fairly high for a bass boat, but low for a walleye type boat. Bass boats more often get used in a run and gun style at full throttle across a lake and don't run very long. Where most walleye boats the hours come from trolling, and the low RPM's from trolling really won't wear out a motor.

I have a 115 yamaha 4 stroke which is almost the same motor and I put more hours than that on it (102hrs to be exact) just this summer. It helps that I drive my boat about 45 mins to work most days. I hope 98 hrs is low or else I'm going to need a new motor by the end of next summer.