• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fly fishing for carp?

So with all the warmer weather, my interest in ice fishing is starting to wane and my eyes are set on fly fishing! I think this could be a year where I almost strictly fly fish while on open water.

I've got a 4wt for throwing small stuff, and I'm likely going to be using some x-mas and birthday funds to purchase a 9wt setup. I've caught fish as small as creek chubs on the 4wt, and the new setup should let me cover the gauntlet of everything up to carp, pike, and even a shot at a musky, along with everything in-between.

I'm hoping that I won't have to wait until opener to break in the new equipment, so I'm thinking more and more about rough fish.

What time of year do you guys think it would be appropriate to start fly fishing for carp or any other large rough fish? I'm hoping to focus on sight-fishing. Once the ice is off of the lakes, will I be able to spot carp and target them? What flies do you like to use early in the season? Any particular metro spots that are well known to have good numbers that are sight-fishable either from shore (or wading shallow) or out of a canoe?

CarpmanJake gave some early season tips last year in the Roughfish Photo forum- I haven't tried it yet but he had the pics to prove it!;

i im kinda just drifting 1/100th oz jigs tipped with little atom wedgies down the current. i always seem to have better luck with artificial baits, than livebait, corn, etc. before the ice goes out

You are in for some of the best, and sometimes most frustrating, fishing to be had in the metro area.

During the spring, just as ice off occurs to slightly after, they will flock to any area where current runs into a lake. Storm sewers, creeks, inlets to other lakes, they will attract fish.

I haven't had a chance to get out and fish these spots since I just started fly fishing them 2 years ago, but talking to guys that bait fish them, they just use pieces of worm. I would try a San Juan Worm or something similar. If they don't hit that, big Hare's Ear and Pheasant Tail nymphs around size 12 might work.

As the water warms, they seem to turn off and focus on spawning. You can find them in the shallows but they seem to be very skittish. Towards midsummer, they find shallow flats and roam around. This is prime time carp fishing. Just sit on a flat, try not to move too much, and wait for one to slip into view. You have to hit a spot about a foot in diameter and about a 18in in front of them to get instant hits. If you land too close, they scatter, too far and they don't see it and you have to resort to stripping line to get their attention.

The fish that are cruising seem to be the most difficult for me. They tend to see me or too much of my fly and get spooked. The ones that are face down in the muck you can catch nearly 100% of the time. They aren't looking for predators, they aren't worried about much, they're just thinking food and when that fly hits a foot away, they see it and pounce.

One other thing, don't try to horse them. They will break you off nearly every time. Let the reel do the work and run 3X at the smallest. I've got some 10' 10lb bonefish leaders waiting for this summer.

When it's good, it's as good as it gets. Big fish, one after the other. When it's bad, you're stuck searching for fish, kicking them up from far away, and not catching a thing. One more thing, there's nothing more annoying than sunfish when you're on a flat casting to carp.

It begins tomorrow. I'll be blind drifting nymphs through a stream tomorrow. Hopefully the carp are there. If not, well, at least I'll get some practice roll casting.

This summer could be real good depending on the weather. The lake I fish them most on was real high last year, making sight fishing a lot tougher. This year, that specific lake is down a foot. I can't wait for that first 80 degree day with carp tailing one after the other.

OK, winter fly fishing with a 10' rod is not the best idea. De-icing wat a little interesting. Got skunked. I had one legitimate hit but with one headshake it was gone. Tried a red wine SJW and got nothing, switched over to a Carrot and got the one hit. Fish were there, but blind nymphing to carp is a tough way to fish.

I had enough after about an hour and a half. Not so productive, but I got to cast a fly rod for the first time in 5 months. I was going through withdrawals wink

Oh yeah, the water was real low too. Man, I can't wait for summer.

It is possible to catch carp in the cold water after ice out but it is not super effective. It will depend on weather obviously but generally mid april I can get a few to take where I live in Rochester even then they are a bit sluggish by end of april/ early may it will be going full bore.

As for patterns I only fish with patterns I tie there are some commercial patterns that work red squirells, san jaun worms hares ears, etc. Generally rule of thumb for me with carp patterns size 10 or 12 some rubber legs and hackel if it looks buggy they will eat it if presented correctly.

As for presentation general rule of thumb You want the fly to be 6-8 inches from the carps face or it wont eat it. Too close it will spook too far they wont move for it..there are exceptions but it is a good rule of thumb. When I am fishing I also want the carp to see the fly falling and hitting the bottom I feel like it helps.

You will have fun I fish carp 90% of my fishing time these days usually at least 50 days a year and it never gets boring...if it does find a new piece of water and it will be new all over.