• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a Used bow

Newby214

Because of my budget I am unable to buy a $1200 new bow! So I am looking at the used market for a nicer, year old bow. Is There any problem areas or trouble spots on the bow that I should look for on a used bow?? I am decently knowledgeable about bows but have never bought a used bow. So I do not exactly know what a good or bad used bow looks like. Any tips or knowledge on buying a used bow would really help!! Thanks

Check for cracks in the limbs, that can be done by taking a Q-tip or cotton ball and rubbing the limbs.

That will pick up any flaw.

Check out the cams to make sure there is no spilts, but if it is only a year old, I would have a hard time anything could be wrecked unless it was treated very poorly.

Anything that is less than 5yrs old should be in very good shape. Check over the limbs and limb pockets. Examine the cams and make sure it draws smoothly. Check over the strings and cables looking for fraying or excessive wear. If its more than a couple years old it may need new strings. Thats less than $100 so consider that when discussing price.

My first two bows were both used and I have no regrets about it. One was from a friend and the other I bought through consignment at a bow shop. I would have a shop look at it before you purchase and its an easy way to shoot it at the range.

Remember that some bows can be adjusted right on the cam and some need modules to be adjusted. That is not all bad. You can find someone selling a bow in a unique size that can be adjusted and maybe they are selling it for cheaper because most people won't look at a bow in 27" or 31". Some bows like Matthews need entirely new cams installed since they are built according to draw length. I'm not sure about all their models, but I know it is true for some.

The others are 100% correct. Make sure it fits you or can be adjusted to fit you. Check the paint and finish also the accessories for any damage,scuffs or ding because that should tell you how the bow was cared for. The cams or wheels should not have any damage to them and check the string where it rides in the groove of the wheel if something is wrong with them the string will show excessive wear around the cam.

Hey thanks a lot guys! All of this was a big help. I am buying it from a certified mathews dealer so they will be able to get the right draw length for me and they said they would warranty everything on the bow besides the accesories(half of them are getting chucked anyway!). But all of the tips will be a big help when I pull the trigger on a bow.

I bought both of my most recent bows online from fellow hunters. Took the time to call them and talk about how much they used the bow, for how long, any damage or issues, etc. Also asked for multiple photos to be sent over. Saved quite a bit of money vs buying a used bow from a dealer and met some nice guys too. I already knew exactly what I wanted though as well as how to work on the bow myself. For a new archer this might not be a good way to get a bow.