• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Take the Time

Gordie

There are alot of spearfishermen that do not go on these forums and in the past two days I have had the pleasure to talk with a coulpe of these guys. I told them about HSO and the spearing site and they were very intrested but what I did was mostly listen as these guys are old timers at spearing and locals of the area lake that I frequent. I bet I sat for a hour and a 1/2 talking about spearing in the boat launch parking.

Like I said I mostly listened as these guy were giving out little secrets of there success that I can use for my spearing fun.

I learned the good and not so good spots on a couple of different lakes and some of these guys favorite colors and techniques along with what are the or have been the best time to be in the shack.

I also learned that one of them is only looking for a wall mounter and is not spearing any thing unless it can go on the wall. That in itself takes a lot of restraint as he put it. I told him that you have to admit its like your waiting for that one trophy buck to step into the cross hairs and he replied exactly.

I met a guy today and it wasn’t me that approached him he stopped and asked me how I was doing and the next thing you know were sharing our favorite secrets of what we thought works best and I would have to say this guy was right he said that the only thing he uses is a daredevil and jigs it and red/and white were best for this lake well about 30 minuets later he said that he had to be on his way .

Well I crawled back into the warmth of the spear shack and looked in my trust bag of tricks and dug out as red and white spoon and tied it on and dropped in the hole gave it a jig and it settled into position then I gave it another sharp snap and as it fell back down a 27 inch pike slammed it then it was gone I grabbed my spear and gave it a jig and then the pike came back into the hole looking for the spoon and I speared it.I saw three more pike in the next two hours and then I let Archerysniper use the house and he got one and saw another and all the pike came into those spoons at least mine did.

So I’m telling you guys to talk with some of these guys .

You’ll find yourself in some interesting conversations and maybe just find out some secrets that really will help you spear ore fish..

Don’t forget to invite them to the HSO family either . they just might become part of this great family

Have a good one guys and good Luck this weekend

Great commentary Gordie.

It goes back to what a few of us were talking about a couple weeks ago that we tend to over think this spearing deal.

Sometimes it takes talking to someone like you did to remind us that some of the simple ideas used year after year work best.

Yup Gordie like the old timer on Goose lake I bet we talked for a hour with him and he gave up his best spot. And yes both fish came into the spoons you left the one I stuck hit the spoons then decided to take the sucker for a ride,the sucker is a little slower now but those reels worked awesome he didn't know what happened it drug it out of the hole dropped it and as I reeled it back in it made the fatal mistake of coming back for seconds.

PS thanks again for sharing your house I think it would have been better without 4 trucks idling and them drilling hole within 25 yards but it is public water and they had little kids with who were having fun the little girl was interested in the spear and that toothy critter on the end of it. If I had more time I would have invited the kids in too watch for a while all it takes is one experience to hook someone for life.

That's another point try and take time out of your busy schedule and bring a kid or someone who has never had the opportunity out. It is now my winter passion and if it wasn't for a friend taking me out 4 years ago I might still be chasing the lousy crappies. I had always wanted to try it but had no idea where to start. I talk to a lot of people and I'm surprised at how many say they would try but have no idea how or were to go.

Today was one of those days for me from a heater going down to the decoy minnow getting wrapped up with the Hillbilly spinner those were just a couple of the problems I encountered but I guess today wasn’t about Me it was getting my son Joey on his first pike and that he did along with a days limit of 3 and passing on a couple of bigger fish.

I was proud of him and glad he had so much fun but that day wasn’t over yet as I was spearing I heard a knock at my door and I thought it was Joey but it was not it was a guy that politely asked if he could check out what all this spearing is about so I invited him in and once the door closed this guys lit up the whole shack and the questions began to pour out of his mouth from everything from how deep do you spear to how was the decoy fastened to the line . He had stated that he wasn’t much of a fishermen and that he loved to hunt In which I replied this is as close to deer and turkey hunting as you can get. Then he said his son was real interested in fishing and what the big ice chunks were from outside the house.

We talked from about a half hour then he said he had to leave and was sorry for interrupting my fishing I told him no problem and that any time he wanted to check it out he was more than welcome then he asked if before he left his son could check the spear shack out and I told him that I would rather him sit with my son cause he was seeing lots of fish this morning and that your son may even get to see one.

About 20 min later this guy had come over to introduce his son to me when Joey stepped out of the house monster smile and a really nice pike.

We made our way over to Joeys shack and the introductions were all done and this guys son stepped into the world off spearing us to fathers stood out side and talked about spearing and a few other outdoor topics when we heard a bit of commotion going on in the spear shack and then Joeys said we just saw a pike I said Parker could spear it if he wanted to then his dad looked at me in amazement and I said well Joey filled his limit so your so might as well give it a try they waited and the pike never returned.

It was a great experience for 11 year old Parker to witness and his father was so grateful and that He would learn more in the 15 min of spearing with Joey than what he could read in a book .

They both shook our hands and said there e good byes and they were on there way.

Before they left Parkers father said d to me I think Parker is hooked on spearing and that was something I had heard earlier in the day by my son.

So today wasn’t a day about me spearing a fish or even seeing a fish it was more about passing on the tradition to my son and Introduce this passion I have to a Father and his son and hopefully they can continue the tradition of spearing.

I went away with probaly one of the best days I have ever had on the ice spearing and Remember Take the Time to teach others as well as listen to others in the sport.

Yesterday I learned something so I guess today I was the teacher.

I only know five people on these forums and this being the first year that I don't need a spearing liscense, tells me that the majority of fishing people don't go on these. I like to visit on the lakes, probably too much. Saturday I took my spearhouse off because I couldn't see hardly two feet down, and had speared probably enough fish this season. Sunday I put it out on a slot lake to sight fish and now I can see the bottom at twelve feet. This forum is where I take time to learn or help. Some day I'll meet you guys. I'm sure we know some people in common. Many relatives from Bradford to North Branch.