• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing GetToGator February. 25th--Lake Minnewaska

bassNspear

Thanks guys...appreciate the comments. I like to fish just as much as the rest of you and enjoy helping get people out to enjoy the outdoors...especially the kids. In fact...my 9 yr old would love to spear for for awhile if anyone wanted to show him the ropes. He is a big 9 yr old at 5 ft 3 already so I think he can handle a spear just fine. One of the better spots to spear is not far from one of my house rentals so he would be around anyway. He has been begging me to take him spearing but I don't have a spear and have only speared once. It was when I was about 12 when my dad tied a wooden decoy on, jerked it a couple times to show me how it was done...and then left me there as he had some errands to run. As I watched him drive away, I jerked the line once and the decoy came untied. I watched the decoy circle and land on the bottom...with no other decoy in the house, I sat there an hour until my dad came back. Needless to say, that was my first and last spearing I ever did. smile

Lakeside landing is about 3 blocks from the bait shop. I will have some maps of the lake set out for you guys with a few of the better spots marked for spearing and the accesses. There are literally pike all over the lake so there is 7,100 acres to spear in.

Our sucker decoys are around 10 to 12 inches in size. If someone wants something bigger, let me know and I will see what I can do to accommodate you. We have some smaller suckers as well if that is what you prefer. They are really good looking suckers...as far as a sucker is concerned.

The pike in Waska are feeding heavy on small sunfish. If you can get on a heavy weedline with small sunnies, then you should have a lot of action. There are several of these spots on Waska and I will give you a map with general directions. I highly recommend bringing a camera and drilling some holes until you find that spot. If you are 20 or 30 feet off, it can make a HUGE difference. I compare it to being on the edge of a woods for deer hunting...in the woods you won't see much, out in the field you won't see them, but right on the edge is where you want to be.

Fish On!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks alot Landdr. I am bringing a 9 year old boy with me. He will be excited that there will be an other kid there.

There will be plenty of people that can get your boy spearing and we always have extra spears, decoys etc.....

We will be eating around noon and there is always plenty for everyone.

hey Landdr i got room in my shack for an extra person if he wants to come out.....he has to cut the hole though lol...nah guess he wont have to lol only thing i ask of him is if he see's a fish and it comes in the hole nice he has to spear it.....think he can?

Well, I had talked myself out of going the this GTG because of the drive for a one day trip, but... I think I'm going to have to have a talk with my wife tonight and see if I am still free to go. All the reports are getting me pumped up, after this last weekend was so poor. I will let you guys know if I'm going to make it.

Bowhunt

Well, I had talked myself out of going the this GTG because of the drive for a one day trip, but... I think I'm going to have to have a talk with my wife tonight and see if I am still free to go. All the reports are getting me pumped up, after this last weekend was so poor. I will let you guys know if I'm going to make it.

Bowhunt

I wouldn't even ask her I would just go. grin

See you saturday morning.

I'm also bringing my 10 year old so thats great to hear there will be other kids even though he does pretty good with just me but he does get bored at times and usually will go out and play in the snow but since there hasn't been any thats not a option

Bowhunt

I told my fiance i was going spearing this weekend, kinda got the evil eye a bit and the "oh are you", then i explained only 2 more days left to spear then almost 10 months off till next spearing season, that helped laugh Getting pumped for sure, im sitting in 75 degrees here in Sacramento and cant wait to get back to freezing cold weather

Hey guys, got the go ahead. I think this being the last weekend helped my case.

MJ - What time do you plan on getting to the lake?

Landdr - I am also curious if there is enough ice to drive out, or if I am going to have to pull my gear out in the sled. Oh I am also planning on swinging in to grab a sucker, what time do you open in the morning?

Fish On is located 2 blocks south of the stop lights and just a couple blocks from the Lakeside landing. I will check out the landings again today to see how they look and if I need to bring my tractor in. Otherwise Sheriff's Landing looked really good yesterday...I went out off that one and got a bunch of sunnies.

I told my son about spearing and he is excited. He got his first rooster last year, shot about 9 ducks I think and also got a nice doe deer hunting...so I think he'll be able to handle the spear. Just have to explain the "refraction" issue with looking at objects in the water so he understands that. I will warn you...if he gets hooked, you might not get rid of him. He is obsessed with hunting and fishing. And I thought I was bad when I was young...he is even worse.

Temps are dropping so we we should have excellent ice conditions. You can drive just about anywhere on the lake...I drove all the way from School Pt to Lakeside yesterday without any issues at all...that's about 3 or miles across the lake.

Yes... A LOT of pike on the camera again!

Fish On!

Ice is great...you can drive out.

We usually open at 7am Saturday mornings...is that early enough or do some of you need us open earlier? Just let me know and we will accommodate. We also have pins and harnesses if you need them.

Fish On!

Ice is great...you can drive out.

We usually open at 7am Saturday mornings...is that early enough or do some of you need us open earlier? Just let me know and we will accommodate. We also have pins and harnesses if you need them.

Fish On!

be glad to take em out. and teaching em wont be an issue here.

Not sure what time we plan on getting there but i'll let everyone know as soon as we figure it out.

Lunch work by my house at noon for everyone? I'll figure out where we will be and let everyone know. I posted my phone number a few posts back if anyone wants to give me a call.