• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to begin? Buying my first ATV.

Powerstroke

I got a Cat 2010.. 550. Was a good machine! Key word "was"! My drunk Ice fishman neighbor borrowed it last weekend. Driving back from the local watering on the lake at 2am he hit a pressure ridge. Fortunatly He's okay. On the bright side. I'm getting a 2011 or 12 this comming weekend!

I got a Cat 2010.. 550. Was a good machine! Key word "was"! My drunk Ice fishman neighbor borrowed it last weekend. Driving back from the local watering on the lake at 2am he hit a pressure ridge. Fortunatly He's okay. On the bright side. I'm getting a 2011 or 12 this comming weekend!

Bummer, I think.

seems to me that not alot of people like or use Cat? Why?

I have 2 cats, an 03 400 and an 04 400. They have been good machines. The 03 has never given me a problem. The 04 has had a few issues, since they changed a few things from 03, but nothing I couldn't fix. I think some people shy away from them because of their higher center of gravity. They don't corner like a sport quad, but they still ride good on the trails for me. Just can't go 40 around a corner, which you shouldn't do anyways. I like them cause I like to drive over and thru stuff! They work great for that. I also think the newer ones are an inch or so lower to address the high center of gravity issue. I would by another one when it is time to upgrade. I see alot of them on the trails up where I ride.

This is a great post. I did a lot of shopping around before I bought my RZR. I have riden regular ATV's for years and decided to go the sxs route when I got mine. I wanted something that I could trail ride, hunt, fish and use for plowing. All of them would work out great for everything except the trail riding. I found that in the national forest trails you have to be at 50" wide to run those trails and the only sxs that does that is the RZR standard. The MNDNR has also listed that you need to less than 999lbs to ride on class 1 trails and the rzr is at 945lbs. The Can-Am is a sweeet sxs but it is too wide for the trails and to heavy to ride the same trails as my friends. Polaris now makes 2 RZR's that are in the class 1 range one is the 570 and the other is the 800. I have the 800. I have added a few accessories to it to make it more comfortable for winter but the list is really endless for after market parts for the polaris line. With the power of the 800 we use it for our food plots and it blows the sportsman 500 away, but I dont have the turning radius the 500 does. If you have any ?'s pm me. I really like my rzr but I would really like to have one Sportsman and a RZR. The RZR is like driving a car so you dont get the full ride enjoyment out of a long trail ride.

Let me know if your neighbor needs to borrow my 2000 Polaris Long track sled for the weekend! I think it's time for a new one too! laugh

As far as ATV's go I have had really good luck with the Polaris units!

look at the can am's!!!!

honda

bruteforce or a grizzly suz/yami

polaris sportsman run!!! and run like hell...from a 500 anyway

In your opinion,

We are proud owners of 2 2008 Sportsmans, 1 EFI and 1 carbed.

Ride like a dream and no major issues at all, some self inflicted ones.

I have pulled some Yamaha's and some Can Am's out of stuff that I already passed through. grin

I personally have had a 1998 polaris 425 magnum, never a problem with it. Had a 2008 polaris sportsman 500 EFI, amazing machine, rode like a cadilac, sold that to buy a Ranger. I miss the sportsman but needed the Ranger for pratical reasons, easier to give rides to my kids. I don't think I will have anything else but a Ranger from now on. I have always owned polaris, just because they have always treated me so well, do the general maintaince on them and they shouldn't give you any trouble. I have buddies with Honda's, they love those too, but seems they have a few more issues such as carb problems, stuff breaking. Also, nothing rides as smooth as a polaris, try riding all brands,and see for yourself. Once you own a polaris, I bet you never buy anything but a polaris. Good luck,

We (wife and I) have a pair of 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 X2's. We find them to be very functional for all of our needs; hunting, ice fishing, plowing snow and other work around the property. What ever you choose, considering the snow we get up here in MinneSnowtah you may want to look at fitting it out with a set of j-wheels.

[NOTE FROM ADMIN: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You]