• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Question

Roscoe010

I have a 1986 Johnson 50 hp tiller on my boat. There is a long bolt near the steering handle that is used to adjust the tension on the motor, so a if you let go of the handle while under way the motor will not spin and throw you out of the boat. I have this bolt tightened all the way down and the motor will not stay put, it always pulls hard to the left. While driving I need to always keep my hand on the motor handle to avoid the "circle of death." Can this part be replaced? I hope so, it would make driving the boat much safer. Thanks.

I've seen the friction hold system wear out over time.. so replacing parts is the first place I'd start.

Greg is right on though.. trimming up your motor will help with torque steer.. adjusting the trim tab will help as well.

marine_man

Yeah, don't rely on the friction control. They do not work. Got thrown from my 14ft. with a 25hp (Yes it was rated for it) Friction control was maxed. I was 6'2" and 285 at the time. Luckily I got thrown clear of the circle of death. Not wearing a life jacket, kill cord not attached, took my hand off the tiller to adjust the sticky seat at nearly WOT (did that dozens of times without issue). Yes it was my fault, yes I was not being safe, but I am telling you that the friction control was maxed at the time.

Now:

1. have a suspender type, auto-inflate Stearns (it works, I bought two rearming kits and tested it) and I wear it all the time I'm in a boat (best $180.00 I ever spent).

2. The kill cord is ALWAYS attached to the life jacket when the motor is running (Works. Test it regularly).

3. I bought a Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk SC. grin

Actually cavitation and ventilation are two different things, totally. Ventilation happens when the prop starts sucking air from the surface. Cavitation occurs when something moves through water in such a way as to cause vapor/vacuum bubbles to form which then rapidly collapse.

Cavitation can be extremely distructive.

It is an anti-ventilation plate.