• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Sit Coming on Thursday

Hammy

So...

I purchased a bow last March and have been shooting fairly consistently since then. I didn't think I was going to be able to get out this year but the starts have aligned and I will be able to get in my blind 2 or 3 days this week to wrap up the deer season.

My question is, "any last minute advice for a first timer heading out?" I have my blind up in a bedding area with lots of trails (spooked a doe when I set up) I'm set up so I wont have a shot over 20 yards and I'm confident out to 30 on the range.

I'll be able to get to the blind about 2 pm each day and figure if I get the opportunity to take a deer I won't recover it until the following morning so I'm not too worried about field dressing, etc (should I be?).

I'll be shooting from my knees and I've practiced that positioning.

Looking forward to it, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

i figured spooking that doe when I set up was about as good of evidence of recent activity as you can get! It will be 3 days between the first time I get back there so I'm hoping she'll have calmed down and gotten back into her habit of returning to that spot

If your blind is indeed set up in then bedding area afternoon hunting will most likely spook the deer bedded around the blind when entering. The fringe of the bedding area where you can get in and out with out spooking them would be the best,my guess is that is what you mean by in the bedding area though.

You have me a little worried i might be too close but we'll see on Thursday. Live and learn, right? Im going to stay optimistic and believe i am right in the perfect spot....

Thanks for the feedback so far

Yep, like sniper said- if you're right in the middle of the bedding area, it may look great, but it's not. Odds of spooking deer and being smelled are high. Even if you don't see deer spook, you'll likely alert them to your presence if you're right in their bedroom. If you can get in and out of there without setting off the alarm, you're probably in a great spot though.

Good luck, bring a camera, and report back with pictures!!!