• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

net or cradle

delmuts

Delmut,

The best net I found is the Frabill Power Catch Net. It is knotless and rubber coated. I did not have any problems at all with the net getting tangled up. I also noticed it was about 10 times easier on the fish. Less split tails and no abrasions from the net.

As for a cradle. Trying to put a 50" angry muskie into a cradle can be a dangerous adventure. If you want more adventure in your muskie fishing a cradle is okay. For safety of both you and the fish, a net is the best bet.

David Swenson
http://muskieguide.homestead.com/

Hey Delmuts,

Dave has mentioned a great net, can't go wrong with that one.
I have seen some of his catches and they are BIG, and real preaty and more important, they look healthy and happy
smile.gif!
Many, many people use these and swear by them.
I had never really used a net until 1999.
On my right hand I have a plastic thumb joint and as I get a little higher in the numbers it got tuffer to hold all the Hawgs I lay into, wink.gif, so I went with a net.

Went with a Beckman Pro Musky.
4 foot handle
Black Powder coated steel
Welded Yoke.
Did well with it all that year, but that season most of the fish we caught in the 38" to 42" mark would get there snout in it and raise hell, sometimes even go through it or get there gills almost hooked in it.
Had many holes in it also from there teeth.
Simply got tired of repairing it.
Called Bruce Beckman himself and told him my findings.
Super nice guy!
We had a long talk and he ended up sending me, FREE of charge, a NEW coated No Knot bag he has yet to name.
He was calling it "The Fin saver"
It is designed for the Catch and Release Musky fisherman and Guides.
It is coated, No Knots, 32" at the top and bottom.
52" deep!
Cut on the square at the bottom and NO ring on the bottom either.
It is like having a Huge holding tank boat side.
Small size net holes at the top and get they get smaller as they move lower.
Coated, flat, No Knot net piece on the bottom to hold net open and fish has more room to move as do you to cut or remove hooks!
It is a bit heavier, but works very, very well for me!
I have not seen one on any of the Web stores, or Musky Bait on-line odering shops for sale yet, so he may not be marketing it yet.
But it is a fine piece of work and dose absolutly NO damage to the fishes Skin, Slime, Gills or Fins.
I love it!
May be something to look at.
Frabils are great to, I just happen to enjoy this particular net.
The Fin Saver Rock's!

Find one that fits your style and go fish'en!

Good luck.

T.

www.muskytomsguideservice.com

The Fin saver is a great net,
I picked one up last fall, I've only had to use it on one fish so far and things went smooth, for me & the fish.
Now I have to come up with a way to attach it to the boat, when I'm by my self I need two free hands when the pen is hanging over the side.

I have never used a net for muskies, I
use a tailing glove or in some cases I use a craddle.
I have never had a problem landing the big fish and most of the smaller ones
are released at boatside.<><

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

Jkrash, I thought about the same problem about holding the net by myself.

My idea is to use metal electrical conduit and bend up a modified two "Z" shapes ( 4 bends) with a spacer connected between them. That way the Z shape could hang over the side of the boat and hang the upper part of the net from the Z shape. Just one idea I will work on when I get my boat out of storage. Hopefully there is a better idea.

Rob

In the BWCA, I do hand land the northerns that I catch, up to 39" (the largest one). They are somewhat managable, except for the time that one northern decided to thrash about where my finger tips slid further up the lower jaw and into some teeth, ouch! That's what makes me nervous about grabbing a fish over 40", loosing a thumb or finger. So if you see me with no thumbs, you'll know what happened.

I suppose it also would be easier to measure them in the water than in the boat where they could thrash about.