• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thats actually a good way to look at it gordie. I mean its kinda true. Anyways I think most others are probably right that going with the 06 may be better if your ever going ta hunt larger game, and for most shooters the recoil isnt a huge factor, i mean if youve done lots of shooting. ive just kinda gone soft for large calibers and in most regards prefer a short action. I grew up with the 06 and recentally sold a dandy .300 win mag, simply because i enjoy a nice mild caliber. I still wouldent recomend anything under say a .243 (sum exceptions) or so for whittails but hey thats a whole nother debate. Id recomend just shooting the .270 and the .06 and other cals etc etc and see what floats yer boat!

Let's clear a few things up here with facts. One - the .270 does NOT fire a 7mm projectile. It fires a .277" projectile, 7mm is .284" and the equivalent of this cartridge family is the .280 Remington. Two - the .270 Winchester doe NOT shoot "way flatter" than the .30-06. The external ballistics are so close that it's not worth arguing or worrying about. For the handloader that wants to shoot long range it's not even a question, the .30-06 gets the nod because of the availability of very high B.C. projectiles in heavier weights which shoot flatter at long range than higher velocity light projectiles from either chambering. Three - the .308 is a very, very fine cartridge, but not "superior" to the .30-06 ballistically. I'll completely agree on the recoil commentary, I have a .308, .30-06, .260 Remington, .243 Winchester, and .270 Winchester and handload for all of them. For a balance of ballistics, recoil, and ft. lbs. of energy delivered on target it's a toss up between the .308 and .260, I usually prefer the .260, but enjoy shooting all of them.

If you're debating between the .270 Winchester and .30-06, I'd simply recommend finding family or friends that own one of each, take some ammo to the range and see which one you like better. This opinion can vary with the model of rifle used. I'm not a huge fan of the .270 Winchester. No good reason, it's a fine cartridge, but if I'm going to use a long-action rifle, I might as well have the optional flexibility of the .30-06.