• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Studs for 136" track...

Meat-Run

Hey folks anybody have studs on there 136" track and what would be the minimum stud count 96 or 120? If I were to put on steel studs would I see a negative difference in performance compared to stainless steel studs? Thanks for any help or advice you can share.

McGyver you out there???

Meat-Run

If I remember correctly a 136 track will use 108 studs if you put 2 in each "bay" of the track.

It really depends what your goal is as to how many you use. The more aggressive you are the more you need, but less studs will put more stress on a smaller area whereas more studs will spread out the stress. However, hard pack and ice are about the only places you will really notice any difference in having them or not. Stainless will outlast steel by a good while but carbide studs will outlast either, and steel will bend easier than stainless. Dont forget that if you add studs you should really put on a longer carbide wear bar to regain any loss in steering, and also remember that some trails may become "off limits" if you have studs.

I personally quit using them when I went to the136 track and have yet to regret it. My past sleds have shown damage to the track in as little as 5 to 6 thousand miles while my present sled is nearing 13000 miles with the original track.

MacGyver why 108 studs aren't most studs sold in 24 or 96 counts and cover most locations or "bays" with those even numbers...i'm just wondering not doubting your opinion just trying to figure out what I should do or proper stud count and location.

My style of riding goes like this...85-90% is grant-in land trails and no Paul Bunyan trails for me. I ice fish allot and like to have it for safety because I have rolled my unstudded polaris a few years back on a typical icy trail going across a refrozen swamp. I also like the idea of being able to stop and "go" when I want to my sled has double carbides so that should help with the pushing compared to a single right?

Keep the advice coming....

mr

The area where you put the studs (between the lugs) are the "bays". On a 136 track I believe there are 54. So if you put 2 per bay there would be 108 studs. On a 121 inch track there are 48 bays so they would typically use 96 as a minimum (2 per bay) or maybe 144 (3 per bay) I believe that more people use studs on shorter track sleds than on longer track sleds which may explain why the sales numbers are more geared to them. Either way, no matter how many you decide on you will lose or break them at some point so having a few spares is not a bad thing.

What leech said is also true, the taller lugs your track has the longer stud you need. Once you get over 1.25 they are less effective because they have less stability.

I think a 136" track has 52 windows. So 2 a window would be 104 studs. Could be 108 like Macgeyver said. I just studded my long track and it was 114 studs. If you have 1 1/4" track the stud length should be 1.400, with an overall length of 1.650. Make sure your sled has tunnel protectors installed before studding. Mine did not and I had to get an aftermarket kit from Polaris. If you bottom out and do not have them, you can damage the tunnel and possibly punture the gas tank, depending on where that is on your machine. There is no reason not to go with stainless steel, carbide tipped studs. Do not cheap out on them, after drilling the track and installing 114 of them, I do not want to do it again. One more thing is to use tall lock nuts and tall backers if you are using studs over 1 1/4". They will have less chance of getting bent with the extra support. Good luck with your decision, I personally will not ride a machine anymore without studs. Too dangerous for the way I ride if I happen to come up to an icy corner, which is quite often.

Throw 2 or 3 in each bay, get carbide studs. Better in the long run.

My fishing sled is a 97 Polaris Trail Touring (long track 2up) and I have 100 something (can't remember) carbide studs in. It is a neccesity if you are pulling a portable.

The guys that say you don't need studs on a sled never pulled you and your buddy with a loaded down 100lb portable up a glare ice hill or used their sled pulling on a snow less lake.