• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wolf just lost Fed. Protection

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) - Officials in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin say they're ready to manage their wolf populations in their states following the Obama administration's decision to drop gray wolves in the Great Lakes region from the federal endangered species list.

The U.S. Interior Department announced Wednesday the wolves have recovered from near-extinction and will lose their federal protection as of Jan. 27. Gray wolf population numbers more than 4,000.

Michigan Department of Natural Resources Director Rodney Stokes says the change will give state officials more flexibility to deal with problem wolves and make people more supportive of having the predators in their midst.

Wisconsin says after the federal order takes effect, it will issue permits allowing landowners to control wolves on their property where there are documented cases of depredation or harassment.

i think it is a good idea to let the states handle this. i do support landowners to protect their property, families, domestic animals ect. as far as controling wolf populations, that is the job of the state and the DNR in my opinion. good luck.

Looks like a wolf hunt in Wisconsin will be taking place this year!

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker signed a bill today allowing wolf hunting in the Dairy State. The season, open to both hunters and trappers, will run mid-October to the end of February. This bill comes after the Federal government delisted wolves as an endangered species in January. Despite this, many view the bill as politically driven, and not based on science. Norm Poulton, regional coordinator for the Department of Natural Resources’ Wolf Recovery Program, believes the bill will greatly reduce, if not destroy, the wolf population.

“If you look at these bumper stickers, they don’t say 350 wolves, they say no wolves,” Poulton told WJFW.com.

Another DNR employee and spokesperson for the wolf hunting bill, Kurt Thiede, says eradicating wolves is not the plan.

“What we looked for in the legislation was making sure that we had, through rule authority, the ability to regulate permit numbers, set goals, establish zones, and then also close the season by emergency order, if necessary,” said Thiede told WJFW.com, before adding that one of the reasons behind the bill was to help those forced to interact with wolves. “The current level which they’re at, there are problems being caused across the north for landowners, farmers, that have to coexist with wolves. So we see this as an opportunity, through our delisting and the federal delisting, to help manage that problem.”

One issue that both sides can agree on, however, is that no one knows just how many wolves there are in the state. Estimates run between 350 and 750 animals. Volunteers that assisted in counting the animals have stated that they will no longer participate for fear of leading hunters to wolves.

What do I think about all this? I’ll put it this way: I’ve already called my friend Richard Sanders, who is a landowner and Wisconsin native, to tell him I’ll be visiting sometime this winter. Your thoughts? Comment below!

Click on the following links for more news on wolf hunting in Wisconsin:

Wisconsin Legislators Must Weigh Wolf Hunt Against Native American Traditions

Wisconsin Landowners Will Soon Be Allowed to Shoot Problem Wolves

Wolves in the Great Lakes Region Taken Off Endangered Species List

Wisconsin DNR Calls For Great Lakes Wolves to Be Delisted