• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to look for in a used spear?

mmeyer

Hey All, I'm thinking of taking the plunge (hopefully not literally) into spearing this year. I found an add from a guy that has several spears for sale. They are all used and range from small blacksmith made spears to $160 custom spears. Can someone tell me what I should be looking for when I'm looking at a used spear? Are there things I should stay away from or steer towards?

Thanks for any help you can give!

when you pick up a spear grab the tines. make sure they are flexable. grab 2 tines and squeeze them together if they flex and go back to where they were, good tines. nothing against you lazer cut spear guys but i think they are junk. plate steel will not flex like wire or rod.

i have been told by the old timers the longer the distance between the point and the top of the barb the better. penetrates the fish easier i suppose. archerysniper posted a picture on another thread. thats the kind of point i like. he said you almost have to cut the fish off his spear, thats the way it should be. no fish swimming away with holes in it.

long tines are better too. when i speared my big one the tines didnt go all the way through the belly. any eater size fish it will go through though.

my spear is a fairly cheep one. its a 6 tine with a flat bar that the tines are welded to. not so good in deeper water.

my favorite is the dillo, kremer, fabeck style with curved tines. i might try making one this winter.