• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye on Rattle Reel

Brady4

I'll use a shiner and a #4 octopus hook with a split shot 18" up. It gets a little more expensive but I like to spool my rattles with floating fly line so I don't get tangles as I'm laying the line on the floor while pulling in a fish. Also, if I'm using a float, I like to be able to coil a foot or two in the hole so the fish has more to take before hitting the reel.

I just use a plain hook with a shiner or fathead and a split shot about 12-18" up. All of my tip-ups and rattle reels are set up this way, some have different colored hooks. It's also less expensive than loosing a bunch of jigs to northerns if you are in an area with alot of them.

We always put down different hook color and jig combinations to see if the fish prefer one or the other. We sleep/fish in a house with lots of holes, so we can leave down up to six lines at a time, each with something different on it. And when the guys go out to fish in the portables, the ladies stay in the house with the lines down, and we make sure they remember to remember which reel caught the fish. Sometimes the fish are funny....red hooks do better sometimes, or green hooks, or orange hooks, or a jigging spoon with a plain hook exchanged for the treble, or jig with a khale hook, or a 1/32 oz. jig. There's not always a pattern that we can discover, but sometimes there is. And I haven't figured out yet how to predict what it'll be.

This one was on a rattle wheel Monday with a Frosty Jig in white with a big fat head on it. All the other wheels we had down had plain octopus hooks on them. Each caught one fish or better last weekend.full-15796-15900-26eyeleech.jpg

I like to go pretty simple like most folks a plain octupus hook and a split shot set with the bait 6-18 inches off the bottom depending on the availability or eelpout in the area. I rarely fish with a jig but do use colored hooks. I like to put on a neutrally boyant float if fishing a bobber to keep the resistance to a minimum(mainly with rainbows and shiners) but when using fatheads I rarely use a float at all just a bright bobberstop tied on to mark the depth. Nothing better then the rattle of the rattle reel waking you up in the middle of the night!

Tunrevir~

Suckers on a plain octpus hook size 8. If you use a hook to big, most walleyes will realize whats going on before they swallow the sucker or shiner. If you use too small of a hook, bigger sized suckers or shiners with often not stay hooked.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of rattle reels...I much prefer to use a regular old rod and reel. I like using light line, and I tend to break off more fish than I'd like on light line on rattle reels. That being said, there is nothing better than hearing those rattles. smile

I like glow hooks or demons... I also use the fly line as it is the best for your hands and not tangling. I run different colors so WHEN that pout takes 2-3 lines down you can get them apart easier.