• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jarrid, PP, Sherpa, et al:

Hey guys, anyone have an ice report for our favorite over-pressured, 60-contests-a-winter-on-a-500- acre-lake? Don't need fish reports, just if anyone has been on it or checked it. Would be going on off the public landing and trying some spots very close to there and not too far off shore. Saving the rockpile for January-March. 6'2" and three bills, I don't do mid-lake early ice.

Thanks.

Have not been on Minnie yet this year. Last Sunday Jarrid and I found about 2.5-3" on Upper St. Croix so we just put some tip ups out close to shore and watched from the truck. I went out to Amnicon the same day to check and found about the same amount of ice there. I would think some ice was made this last week with the temps we've had. So hopefully there will be another inch or two at least by now. Sorry, not a report for the lake you were asking Raider but it's as close as I could come for now.

I haven't seen any evidence of any activity on the ice yet. I live 1/4 mile from the lake and could hear it groaning and howling during the cold snap last week. Conditions vary quite a bit on the lake with currents and springs, inlets and outlets, so exercise extreme caution when going out.

Thanks guys. My Mother-In-Law and Brother-In-Law were down checking out the cabin yesterday. They didn't see anyone out. If I get out (and right now I'm thinking not until after the holidays, especially with the day long rain today), I'd head to the north-side public access. I found a point near there a couple years ago that might be promising during the hardwater. I only fished it during open water so I don't know what the spring situation is (Dang, that lake is full of them). You don't have to warn me about ice-safety. I stepped into a snow-covered spring hole about 8 years ago when I was out with my son. Still have bad thoughts about what could of been. That's why I usually don't go out until January and stick to the Northeast arm area. Always had solid ice out to the rockpile from January-late March/very early April. Stay away from that main portion of the lake between the island and that west side point with the flag pole. That's where I've seen the most springs (including that one up close and personal).

Jarrid, yeah "The Vortex" is a good name for that area. You got the channel and that big ol' inside turn on the west side. Great spot with a little north wind It's number 14 on the long milk run, number nine on the shorty. Do best there with a lipless crankbait.

Hate to say it Dave, but Minnie is a struggling lake. It has gotten pretty hard to catch fish out there the last few years. There are fish in there, but they get pressured pretty hard, especially the next few months where there will be 30 Ice tournies out there..........Good luck man..

No kidding. That lake is BRUTAL in the winter. I have my one spot and am going to try one other if I get out this year. Other than that, I stay off it in the winter. Boat season, that's another story. Love the lake in the summer/fall.