• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfish through the ice

Chopper77

Just in case, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you either didn't know or don't believe that flathead catfish hibernate during the winter. You should do a search for some of Brian Klawitter's videos from the Mississippi of these big beasts stacked up literally like piles of wood in the winter and early spring. You can bounce a camera off of them and they don't move. The nice thing about the video is that it can't really be chalked up to hearsay and conjecture by a bunch of catfish snobs -- it's just a fact that flatheads hibernate.

Even if they did "bite", using such small ice gear to bring them in is disrespectful to the fish's health. I have fought fish for 10+ minutes with 80lb line and heavy rod n reel so with a little ice rig I can imagine the stress the fish was put in and if it didn't take that long to bring one up then that's a little more evidence it was hibernating.

I can understand accidentally "catching" one but to repeatedly target them is unsportsmanlike to the extreme.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you were totally clueless about flatheads and hoped you learned your lesson or at the very least you've learn not to post pictures on public forums were you come off as nothing more than a snagging moron.

Ah everybody should quite picking on the poor guy; anybody thats worth their grits as a fisherman knows how challenging it is to snag--especially hibernating cats a pig pile. Nice hidden face by the way; almost like a catfish mujahideen.