• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

locking spear shack

drakerebel

what's everyone's thoughts about locking up their dark house? i speared out of my portable last year so i didn't fix up my permanent that someone decided that they needed to see inside...window is still busted (from 2 seasons ago). i am going to get it out here soon-like but was looking for some positivity that people arn't that hard up for a dip net.

what do you do: lock or not lock?

I have done both

My thought s are if they want to get inside they will get inside no matter what it takes.

When I didnt lock it someone used it for a outhouse and at least they used a bucket but It was still unpleasant after that I started locking it all I had to leave was a propane tank. so I locked that inside.

I live close enough that I can haul everything out with me each time.. and this keeps them honest.

I have had fishouses broke into and it sucks but it happens.

the worst part is fixing the damage they have caused.

and for the last three years I have had a old TEE style house out to fish out of thats hand a nice heater in it and I havent locked it once and know one has messed with it.

i say leave it open. if someone goes out with the intension of breaking into a fish house, the only thing that padlock's gonna do is slow them by about 5 secs and cost you $20 in locks. i say leave it open and take EVERYTHING back with you.

I lock mine, but really it's quicker and easier to open the door with a screwdriver than to unlock it. I figure if some numbnut's kid wonders in there and falls through the hole and dies it hopefully would save me from getting sued. Not sure if it matters, or if I have anything to worry about. For that matter my permy weighs all of maybe 150 lbs so a couple of adventurous tikes could push it aside and than fall in the hole just the same. I just think that by locking it it shows that I tried to keep them out. Again, maybe I'm worrying about something I shouldn't be.

I always left mine open and had my wood stove bolted to the floor. I had a latch on the outside of the door that I would always latch when I left. More then once I came out to find the latch undone but nothing was ever harmed.

Better to leave it open and avoid repairs later, if the want in they're getting in.