• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Lund - Looking for all purpose boat

wewillsee

Years ago I owned a 2000 Lund 1700 Fisherman with 125 merc. Liked the boat, wasn't wild about the motor. Fast forward to now and I am looking to get back into boating and have the funds to do so. I was considering used but I can't really find something in good shape with a modern four stroke. This must fit in my garage of which I have 19'-8" in length.

Here is ideally what I would like:

Length - 16.5 to 17.5 feet long

Dual console

Can use for family skiing, tubing and cruising

Can use for bass fishing

Can use for walleye fishing

Can use with downriggers for salmon fishing out on Lake Michigan on calmer days.

Brakes on trailer

Models I have been considering:

Lund 1700 Tyee with 115 Merc 4S

Lund 1675 Impact Sport with 90 Merc 4s

Lund 1625 Rebel XL Sport with 75 Merc 4s.

The 1700 Tyee is ideal but pricy - around $30K

The 1675 Impact is nice but is more fishing related and less family friendly - also worried that the 90 is too little motor

The 1625 Rebel is a good price but I don't think the 75 is enough HP and 400 lbs hanging on the transom is a lot. Also, it might be a bit too small.

I also have been considering the 1675 and 1725 Explorer but that is just as much as the Tyee and not as family friendly.

The 1750 Tyee is too big and I don't think the 115 is enough hp.

I would like your opinions please.

Would it help to get the swing away tongue?? This will give you more room in the garage when you close the door. I am running a Trophy 175 with a 115 Merc, Optimax. Plenty of power for tubbing and skiing as long as they don't weigh 200 pounds.

Good Luck

Mike

Any trailer I get will have the swing tongue and brakes. Since your trophy is 17'-9" I believe, and the motor is probably 24", no part of the trailer would have to be in front of the boat's nose. I don't think that is the case. Also, your 175 is somewhat heavy so I would want a 150 hp which costs more. It is a great layout and nicely finished though. Less expensive than the Lund's too.

For what you want to do with it I would say go with the 1850 Crestliner Sportfish. I have one and it fits great in my garage with the swing tongue on the front. The boat itself is 18'2". I have a yamaha 150 4 stroke and I love that motor as well. Seems to be a great combo and it has the rear bench seat along with the convertible bow. I would say I walleye fish way more than I do all the pleasure activities and it's a great fishing boat, but when I take the family out it's perfect as well. If you can find a nice used one you can get them pretty reasonable. Mine is an 05.

Models I have been considering:

Lund 1700 Tyee with 115 Merc 4S

Lund 1675 Impact Sport with 90 Merc 4s

Lund 1625 Rebel XL Sport with 75 Merc 4s.

Some comments on models you are considering. The 1700 Tyee is clearly in a different class than the other 2, $$$ wise and feature wise. Different purpose as well.

For your needs, I'd consider either the 1675 or 1775 Impact. The 16 footer is still 90" wide which will help when you are out on Lake Michigan. Also a little stronger gunwales to mount the down riggers to than the Rebel. I don't think it'll be much slower than the Tyee, and it should be similar to the Rebel in speed (about 41). Both the 75 and 90 Mercs put out more than advertised.

I own a 1625 Rebel XL with a Yamaha 75, but in the side console version. Some may say that the windshield model has enough room, but I did not find that to be the case. I love mine, but I do not typically fish big water and certainly nothing like Michigan. The 400 lb motor on the back will be a tad too much weight, I had to adjust the weight distribution on mine with 370 lbs. If you went up a size to a 1725 Rebel, the almost identical 90 hp version will not be an issue. You would have enough floor room with this setup as well.

Finally if you get either the Impact or Rebel, opt for the aft flip up seats. It saves a lot of floor space in 16 foot models as the kids will sit over the rear deck instead of in the rear pedestals where you would be banging knees. The Tyee is setup this way from the factory.

I went from an Alumacraft 18.5 with a 200 Honda to a Lund 1875 Impact with a 150 Verado. I loved my Alumacraft/Honda to death. I love the Lund/Merc maybe more. It rides smoother and the Verado is a snappy moter and it's weight isn't bad for the size of the boat. The Impact is a nice boat you will be very happy especially with the jump seats in the back. I love Alumacraft but I am happy with my Impact. If you can get it to fit in your garage I think it's a great choice. This is one guys opinion though.

I bought the 1700 Tyee this summer and love it! It has the 115 Mec 4stroke..plenty enough motor for the boat even with 4 adults in it pulling a tube. Get all the bells and whistles on it...you will be very happy..

I went back to Lund dealer today. Looked at the Impact and the Rebel again. For what I am looking for, I think I would be best getting the 1700 Tyee.

Coldwater Crappie Guy, I think I may end up ordering the 1700 Tyee. What hole did they install it in and what prop are you using? What is the top speed? What options did you get? Here is what I am thinking

1700 Tyee in Black

Shorelander Roller Trailer with brakes, LED lights, swing tongue, load guides

115 Merc Four Stroke

Options include Lund mooring cover, 3 step swim platform, 2 protrak downrigger brackets, ski pylon, pro ride seats, 3 bank charger, trolling motor, and GPS

Anything else I should include in the order? They are quoting roughly 10% to 12% off of MSRP from Lund's HSOforum.