• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TackleBoxes for small plastics

buzbunni

I'm just wondering what type of storage containers anyone uses for the myriad of small plastics that pile up for slab fishing.

I don't need all the width offered by the "generic" plastic containers, and I would rather have permanently molded compartments(say 24 small ones) for this purpose instead of the inserts. I have several tiny tackle boxes, but would rather combine these into one or two big plastics/jighead panfish boxes.

Any recommendations from your system?

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

I use a soft-sided tackle box that holds 4 plastic tackle containors inside and one on top. It also has zipper pockets on the sides and front. I can get all my plastics, jigs, floats....just about everything for panfish. (although it seems like I'm starting to run out of room...bad habit of buying tackle everytime I go to the store grin.gif)

There are several different models out there to choose from. I really like the soft-sided tackle storage approach, very orangized and easily transported.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Go to WallyWorld, buy a box of quart sized zippered freezer bags, place all your goods in separate bags and toss them in a five gallon pail. That has been my walleye "box" for years and works great. The crappie tackle can get to you after a while, but here a box(s) are nice. Just be sure that the colors sttay separated and I keep the different lure products apart as well... all my Culprit products go into boxes according to style and individual compartments therein by color. How to carry them all?...find a soft sided cooler at a rummage sale cheap and toss them in that. Works great. All the crappie plastics get to be a bane. I try to keep things split up a bit so that when a certain bite is happening all I need do is dig out the appropriate box and pray that it is still working.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

Tom, that's probably the best recommendation I've seen in a while. It was suggested on In-Fisherman television a few years back as well. I forgot all about that trick. My biggest problem with it is the hooks like to stick through the bag.

Keep the jigheads/hooks in a hard box...plastics are easier to get to when you can actually see what you have in your hand and they stay clean. And if you have a scent you like to use, you can drop a bit of it in with the plastics so you don't have to mess with it when your hands are cold or the bite is hot. When the bags wear out, just toss the contents into another one. Cheap. effective.

------------------
[email protected]

sportsmens warehouse has the crappie magnet, soft sided tackle box, bought one of those for me tonight, look good, stytrofoam inside so you can attach the hooks plus bunch of little baggies for tubes and plastics.
Best Fishes
Chris

please make a law! no dogs jumping in and out of the lakes nere people who are fishing from the shores next to them ! it's rude and dogs have more rights then humans,
theres people who can't afford a boat, they have to fish from the shores, they need a little respect.Please keep the dogs out of the lakes. make it a law
andy
mn usa

------------------
wwwandyubb.com

Rusty....Welcome to the site! You have brought up a good issue regarding the dogs/fishing thing. It works the other way too. Some people are simply not aware of things going on around them, some simply do not care, and some...well. I've been anchored only to have someone start tossing a ball for bowser twenty or thirty feet away from me. I met a guy at the landing the other day who was working his dog in this fashion getting ready for the Cabelas Dock-dog jumping contest....said he didn't want to bother people who were fishing, so he came over to the boat landing even though he lived on the lake. Nice guy! Later that week I met yet another person doing the same thing. But for those who are shorebound, dogs jumping from boats in the immediate area pretty much do in the fishing for them and you are right...it's down right rude. I do want to add though, that you will get more attention to this sort of issue the next time by opening a new post for it. Again, it's good to have you on deck!

------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 06-05-2004).]

Good advice as usual. I found some small Plano 4compartment units. I bought a couple and will buy new ones and fill them as necessary. I like to go to Salvation Army, Good Will, Value Village, and buy old travel kits, bags etc. My shore fishing unit was around $3 and just rocks. Shoulder strap, 4-5 different compartments; even a place on the back that is kinda like a wallet. One mans(or gals) trash....

I put my larger plastics(walleye/bass)in the large freezer bags, but I like the panfish plastics in a hard compartment because I don't seem to have enough to fill a ziploc; they kinda swim in all the extra space. Like you said Tom, just gotta keep those colors separate. I too like to order them according to style.

I still wouldn't mind finding a manufactuer who made a shallow(say 8" x 11") box that had around 24 or so permanent compartments. It's just my style.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

All the above ideas are better than my system, but I'll share it anyway.

I don't have an arsenal of panfish plastics, but the ones I have are in the little tins from mints. Working retail sales, my associates & I go through LOTS of Altoids and I get the tins. I tape one of the size and style that is in the tin (mixed colors) and keep them in the pockets of my vest. The trick is trying to remember which pocket has what stuff in it grin.gif

On the dog comment - two weeks ago I was shore fishing the Missy and some guy was playing fetch with his dog. The dog got into the main current and couldn't get out for about 300 yards downriver. He was a downed tree-snarl away from having a shaggy wet carcass for a playmate. Not so clever.