• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Peep site for muzzy?

For you folks that have put a peep site on your muzzleloader, what peep/front sight did you get and do you like the setup? I got my cataract fixed and that helps a lot but I will be 57 in a month and maybe I will think about installing a peep site for next year's season. Of course with my luck, as soon as I install a peep they will make scopes legal... Thanks for any replies. Good luck to all the muzzy hunters, have fun and hunt safe.

I've got a peep on my muzzle. Had the front sight custom made which is just a thin post. Target is at the top of the front post so it is always visible. I hate the large bead front sights that cover up a deer at 100yds. My front sight covers up about 1/3 of a pie plate at 100yds. Aim Small, Miss Small.

However, next year i'm going get a new muzzleloader. Scope it, and put a peep on there for muzzle season. The front sight will be exactly what you see on an assult rifle with the ghost/peep sight.

Pic found off the internet, not my sight, but similar.

full-26433-14151-sub_2000_sightview_aft.

Without question Williams gunsight company. Been at it since 1926. They know their open sights and they will outlast your gun (just switch them to the new gun ). Not cheap junk that breaks when you abuse it at -30F, but stays dead on! They make every open sight imaginable including peep. That is what we have used for many years and very confident at 100 yds plus since standard front sight doesn't cover up too much of deer. Give them a call, they will take care of you. Or call a local gunsmith to help you, esp if you need additional tweaking such as drilling out peep if needed and trimming down front sight. He may have some guns on hand with sights you can try. Do it once and do it right. Then practice, practice, practice! And you already have a season that lets you use scope on your muzzleloader, don't be greedy and push for two seasons frown

lakevet

I am in the same category, getting older with bi-focals. I am a staunch user of the old school muzzleloaders with the primitive sights and all. The front sight is getting blurry on it now when I sight in on target. My father-in-law gave me a simple and CHEAP solution. Cut a piece of electrical tape into a square, if its 1/2" wide, cut a half inch piece off. Then punch a Small hole in the middle of the square. Then while sighting down the rifle, head on the stock, stick the tape on the outside of your glasses where you would be looking through it and down the sights. Viola! Cheap Peep! You didn't say if you wear glasses though, but this will work with safety/shooting glasses also.

Good luck and keep your powder dry!

Later,

Kenny

If your rifle is drilled and tapped for a scope mount there is agood chance Williams makes a reciever peep sight for you. They mount in place of the rear scope base. The one I got for my Knight MK 85 came with 3 different apertures. I use the smaal one for sighting in and practice and switch to a larger one for hunting. When it starts to get dark I remove the aperture and it works like a ghost ring sight.

My 2 cents... I shoot a Lyman deerstalker traditional gun. Lyman makes a peep sight #57, it has click adjustments for windage and elevation, comes with 2 size peeps. They have mounting instructions for most guns. I also just purchased a prohunter f/x. I found a local MN company E.Arther Brown makes their ribpeep,(google it to find them) has a scope mount that also has a peep sight on it you don't have to remove to mount the scope. Can't wait to get to shoot this.

Im gona put williams peep on my omega, but still dont like the fiber optic, the red is tough to see in low light but not bad, might switch it to green, wish they made a smaller fiber optic site, similar to the one used on bow sites, or do they?

Im gona put williams peep on my omega, but still dont like the fiber optic, the red is tough to see in low light but not bad, might switch it to green, wish they made a smaller fiber optic site, similar to the one used on bow sites, or do they?

If you find a smaller fiber optic..let me know. I got away from the fiber optics and went with a colored steel post as a front sight. Made it about .050" wide, top of sight should be centered on target allowing for visibility of your target.

Eyes not what they used to be, and installing Williams Receiver(peep) system on my Rem 700ML has made all the difference in terms of accuracy. I suppose I could shoot 100yds if needed, but I am content being able to hit a paper plate at 50yds every time I fire, and keeping all my shots at that range or less. Might have to pass on a few opportunities that are too far, but I don't mind - hunting out of a tree stand means they're usually pretty close anyway.

Sure like the muzzleloader season. Usually(although not this year) plenty of snow and the peace and quiet make it all the more enjoyable. Still hunting is a real treat when you don't have to worry about bumping a deer into another hunter.