• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Backyard Buck (5.6 Acres)

Crappie Rage

Thursday November 3rd and I was running out of time. Headed Friday or Saturday to Kansas for 9 days but that is another story.

Hit the stand I have farthest from any house in the AM. Saw a doe, heard one snort but pretty slow morning. Then about 8:30 I hear something to the east. The area is choked in buckthorn and those leaves had not dropped so you cannot see very far.

I picked up my bow, stood up and got in position just in case. Then I saw antler. Then alot of antler and the deer is only 25 yards away. My brain tells me he is pope and young and for me, that is good enough in MN. He is just mooching along slowly feeding and sniffing. He looks up at me and I though it was over, but he put his head down and walked closer.

At 12 yards walking I put the pin on the shoulder and shot. He went 200 yards with a solid blood trail the whole way.

He weighed in at 230 pounds dressed and scored 142 gross. Biggest bodied deer to date. full-16015-13963-imag0064.jpg

Musky,

I like to think my QDM efforts on 5.6 acres that hunt like 6, is paying off and I raised this deer from a 2 or 3 year old. But I know better.

My property is half (north) surrounded by other properties of 5 or so acres and no firearm hunting is allowed. The other half (south) is only hunted by one party, they do firearm hunt, but it would be low pressure to my south. High hunting pressure to the north, but all archery.

They do have a chance to get old in my area but I doubt shooting a 4.5+ year old buck will be an every year occurance. My MN requirement is 3.5 years old.

Same here crappie 3.5 or older, cool, gives me a better idea of your situation and nice deer, goodness Thanksgiving will be a great one, awesome deer stories, etc. Nicely Done ! Just kidding on the steaks lol, beat on em and marinade em and grill em lol. I should ask with Kansas and that MN beast, if you had to drag them far, did any of you get checked for hernia's ?

Actually of the 4 deer we only had to drag one of them. My buck with the messed up antler in KS had to be dragged about 125 yards, through the creek and up a hill. 3 guys so it was not that bad. The other 3 were accessible by ATV. Although into the truck is not an easy task either.