• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you think of this?

lient

i put alot of time effort and money into providing quality deer habitat where i hunt. i practice qdm and i dont need some irresponsible pet owners dog running deer on my land and causing them undo stress. wild animals face enough danger from other wild animals they dont need your pet chasing them to. according to you since it is a dog it has more rights then other animals on this earth. everyone here seems to think it is ok for dogs to run deer for the fun of it but if it is a wolf or cat it should be gone.

sorryt but an animal is an animal and i probably respect the outdoors more then most here. so what should one do if dogs are running deer just turn a blind eye and call it ok

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i put alot of time effort and money into providing quality deer habitat where i hunt. i practice qdm and i dont need some irresponsible pet owners dog running deer on my land and causing them undo stress. wild animals face enough danger from other wild animals they dont need your pet chasing them to. according to you since it is a dog it has more rights then other animals on this earth. everyone here seems to think it is ok for dogs to run deer for the fun of it but if it is a wolf or cat it should be gone.

sorryt but an animal is an animal and i probably respect the outdoors more then most here. so what should one do if dogs are running deer just turn a blind eye and call it ok

Again..show me the ONE QUOTE in here that someone said it was okay for a dog to run deer?

I never said a dog has more rights then any other animal on earth. You can't just kill anything you want cause it interfers with your QDM.

And I do not doubt you respect the outdoors more then most on here...Besides your private QDM area I'm sure you volunteer regularly to help out in other outdoor activites as well....

seems everyone is defending dogs and not thinking it is a big deal i didnt say there is a quote where someone said that just not many saying it is a bad thing and the should be some recourse the owners of these dogs should face if they can't keep thier pet from doing this

Also, an FYI...it is ILLEGAL to shoot a wolf (or cat) as well! you may want to, but it's illegal and you might even see some prison time as it is federal protected.

seems everyone is defending dogs and not thinking it is a big deal i didnt say there is a quote where someone said that just not many saying it is a bad thing and the should be some recourse the owners of these dogs should face if they can't keep thier pet from doing this

Yep-keep back peddeling. You did say that and no one is saying otherwise. It is NOT okay for dogs to chase deer but death is not a punishment YOU can hand out when YOU want.

And you can get fined for dogs tresspassing and chasing wildlife...but not the death penalty.

I'm done (maybe) ranting with this but YOU, AS A HUNTER, NEED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND MAKE RESPONSIBLE DESICIONS WITH A WEAPON THAT CAN TAKE THE LIFE OF WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO SHOOT! IT'S NOT UP TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE HERE BESIDE A PEACE OFFICER (and even they will have to deal with a judge) WHEN DISPATCHING OF ANY LIFE (animal or human).

Good luck Jabug and keep up the wonderful job of respecting the outdoors!

I will keep up my respecting the outdoors thank you. Also I will not sit by and let someones pet destroy that outdoors because an owner can't control their pet. This whole thing is about dogs running deer and I feel it is wrong. Certain situations call for certain actions be it a phone call or a shot. Thanks for reading my post you all know how I feel about this subject. Time to put it to rest and move on to more important things like stopping the netting

If they were so well trained, why would they not come back when yelled for? Until the rest of the story is told, everyone is believing these were some innocent dogs and dog owners. If this was the first time this happened I don't believe these dogs would be dead, and again maybe both sides of the story should be reported.

The dogs were not chasing deer. You're assuming. These were not some mutts that lived outside. They were trained dogs that were taken care of and loved by the family.

Not calling ya out or anything, but there seems to be a wildfire of assuming surrounding this incident being expressed in this thread. Too much for me to make a decision from, much less an opinion, so I chose not to read this article. All I can gather reading all the responses posted in this thread is that someone's domestic/pet dogs had been shot. I figure if you guys and gals cannot gather up many, if any, facts from this article, why should I waste my time even reading it? With that said:

IMHO there are only two ways a dog can get shot when not under the control/eyes of its owner or more commonly known as "running loose". It would be out of anger or out of fear. Fear I have no issue with. Shooting a dog out of anger, well, what ever gets you through the night and to each is their own. Something in me requires the animal that is about to go down to be either table fare or an honest threat to myself or another human. This would rule me out of the shooting an animal out of anger category. If the opportunity came about, was perfectly legal and even ethical, bringing down a domesticated animal/house pet during a wild game hunt just is not my idea of having a good time.

In some bizarre circumstance maybe a third scenario could be worked in, but only if the pet in question closely resembled a doe or broke loose from some twisted X-mas/Santa event being held during deer hunting and close to hunting land. My own personal self would deem me at fault right out of the gate if I were to shoot anything other than a deer. So for me this would cancel out any third option.

When it comes to a pet owner and one of the pet owner's pets being shot, well the way I see it is the "two ways" rule applies to this also. If your pet gets shot there are only two ways this could happen. One, you either did not care much for the animal or two, you screwed up.

Signed,

A deer hunting dog owner.