• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Possible electrical problem

Big Dave2

I had a dead battery on my 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400 that I could not get to charge. It was an old battery and probably time to replace so I did. Installed the battery and let it trickle charge overnight, went out this morning to start and NOTHING.

I'm sure that the battery has a charge because it will operate the winch which is connected to the battery seperately. Usually when I turn the key on, there are a few small lights that come on on the dash that tell you what gear it is in or neutral or park. Nothing comes on now even if I hook the lead wires up to a battery charger I get no juice at all. At least when I had the dead battery in there, the lights would come on when I hooked it to the battery charger.

It seems that maybe a fuse is blown for some reason. The only fuses I can find are 2 - 30 amp flat fuses under the seat. Does anyone know if there is another fuse somewhere I should check? There is juice at the battery but none is flowing to the rest of the electrical components. It was fine last night before I installed the new battery. Any ideas?

Well the first idea is always to find the owner's manual and figure out where all of your fuses are located. Second I would check the connections to see if any of the wires are corroded at the connectors, or even damaged somewhere after the battery. An eleven year old machine might have developed a kink in a wire or seen a mouse or two.

Is there any chance that you accidentally put the battery cables on reversed even for a moment?

The reason I ask, is that I just worked on a Yamaha (Breeze) a few weeks ago with the same symptoms and it was indeed an inline fuse in the wiring harness. On this particular model it was just below the gas tank in the wiring harness.

The winch most likely still works because it does not require a certain polarity to work whereas the ATV does.

for what its worth, 2 years ago I replaced the battery on my ATV, I kid you not, I went through a few batteries and several trips to 2 different stores of the same retailer.

12 brand new batteries off the shelf between the 2 different stores all tested bad right out of the box. It was very frustrating and I wasted a lot of time. Went to a different retailer, got the same brand and it worked first try.

Just a thought, but if you have a tester test it, and if its bad have your next battery tested before you bring home.

I know on my Arctic there is an inline fuse behind the battery, take a look around under the back of your wheeler in the battery area...other posssibility is it could be the regulator rectifier burnt out...this happened on my machine and after replacing the reg-rctifier, I had no power...a little looking and I found the in-line fuse that was burnt!