• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

savage axis

Been looking for a xmas present for my wife and finally figured out what to get her. Ive been shooting a model 111 chamberd in 270 win. for about 10 years now, and really like the rifle. Wondering how many of you own one of these Axis rifles. I know the scopes on these things arent the best, but do work. Would like any opinions on the axis. I havent done much research on them but do like the package deal, detachable mag, and of course the price.

She said she doesnt like the kick of the 270. Would 308/ 7mm-08 take some of the abuse off her shoulder? shes not very big and would like the make the gun as enjoyable to shoot as possible. If the accuracy will match my 111, the thing will shoot quarters at 100 yards with good optics. It will be primarily a deer gun.

Throw some opinions at me please and thanks

I have one in .223 the axis does not have the accu trigger and the scope is not the best but works the bolt is fine I have shot 200 rounds and a few coyotes it works remember it is a $350 combo so it may not be perfect but thats why I bought it it was not going to be treated perfect.

I just bought the Axis in .270 this year. I've only had it on the range but I was shooting next to my friend with a Winchester Model 70 and my groups were just as good if not better than his.

I bought mine at Fleet Farm for $294, it was a package deal with a Bushnell scope that seems like a decent scope for a package deal. Gander Mountain's package was $50-$100 more and came with a low end Simmons scope.

The bolt on my Axis isn't sloppy at all. The trigger is fine but perhaps a bit stiff, no big deal for me though.

So far it seems to be a pretty good gun considering the price point and I'm quite sure that its more accurate than any average shooter. I spoke with guys at three different places when shopping for a rifle and none of them had anything bad to say about the Axis.

And as far as recoil I've been using Remington managed recoil rounds this season because of a shoulder issue and they really do reduce the recoil immensely. I went through a box of rounds without feeling any discomfort in the shoulder, carrying the rifle down to the range actually bothered my shoulder more than firing the gun. Only problem is that the managed recoil rounds in .270 are hard to find. I had to order mine online but I actually found them cheaper online anyways so it saved me some money.

The Axis is probably okay, and the 7mm-08 would be a good choice for a low recoil round that gets the job done.

I don't have an Axis, but I do have a Marlin XL7 that sells in the same price range as the Axis, and is a good accurate rifle for the money. For a few dollars more, I think the new Thompson Center Venture is also a good buy. Another one is the Stevens model 200 in the same price range as the Axis. The Stevens is basically the same action as the Savage 110, without the Accutrigger, but the trigger is adjustable. From what I have read, there have been a few changes to the action in the Axis from the older models - one thing I remember is the receiver lug is not permanently attached to the action.

My first thought was about the .270 managed-recoil rounds as well. If you're both shooting the same caliber and one of you forgets your ammunition (Sometimes it happens...) you can always borrow a couple of rounds from the other.

And if you go with a rifle with a detatchable magazine, pick up an extra one or two so that she's not PoorWordUsage out of luck if she can't find or drops or otherwise doesn't have the one magazine for her rifle.

Edit: For the record, my dad, cousin, and I are all out-shot by our Savages, and we love them.

definatly out-shot by mine too. I put a better scope on mine did some simple trigger work and my model 111 simply shoots. I know that if I do my job behind the gun. I will never have to worry bout the gun doing its job. They may not have the silky smooth bolt, but Ive used worse. May not have the best trigger, even though the AccuTrigger is awesome. The gun simply shoots.

I am just worried about the price they had to sacrafice somewhere. If the Axis shoots straight its not the barrel. Action, stock, scope, clip, trigger??? They may be a great value but you get what you pay for, so am I buying a money trap to fix a few years down the road. Those are my real concerns.