• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is tonight the night?

Scoot

I'm taking my son out in the stand with me tonight again. He's put in a lot of time and he'd really like to see me shoot a deer. It's starting to get too cold for him to come out in the woods with me, so I'd better get it done soon or it won't happen again this year. I'm finally going to bite the bullet and take a doe if given the chance tonight. I'd much rather hold onto my tag for some decent headgear, but much more important than that is to take a deer with my son watching. The wind should be good and it looks like it'll be a beautiful night. Now... if I can just get a doe to cooperate...

Good luck scoot!

I've been trying the same thing scoot but had back luck. Every time the boy come with we get skunked but every time hunt alone I end up passing a little buck. Fully prepared to burn my buck tag if my boy is in tow. Althought I can't say how confident I am getting a shot off from the ground with a 3 year old right next to me but I will do my best.

Good luck Scoot. Hope you scored tonight and am awaiting the results. I took my 7 year old boy hunting for the first time a few weeks ago. In another post I said I missed, not wanting to provide the details at the time but I actually hit the doe. The shot appeared textbook. Broadside at 15 yards, bam, she went down butt over teakettle (literally a summersault) into the beans. A few seconds later she pops up and is off head down and tail down, blowing. Afterward, I'm looking at the window thinking where's the arrow hole?!?!?!? Then I see it just below the window right next to the hub pole. Ugh. I had kneeled to take the shot to keep my son well clear of the path of the arrow and not considered the arrow was several inches below the sight.

The arrow was broke in half and had lots of meat on it more so than blood. The neighbor, whose land she ran 100 yards across the beanfield onto jumped her twice that evening in the slough while riding his horse. When we went back the next morning, we found fresh blood in several beds and saw on the trail cam with what looks like a front leg wound a week later. So I had a frank discussion with my son on the mistake I made and how the goal is a quick ethical kill. The good news is, he seems unaffected by it and keeps talking about how awesome it was to go hunting. Always the optimist he told me, well dad, at least you have plenty of those sharp arrows left. lol.

He wanted to go tonight but the deal with his 4 year old sister is I have to take her next or there will be trouble. I had to walk a half a mile in each way tonight and that won't work for her! Even if I carried her, she's not too patient. I am going to take her out behind our house tomorrow in the woods to go hunting so I can take my son again. I too would take any deer with him along and can't wait to get him hunting in a few short years hopefully. And my daughter too! She just isn't very patient yet. lol!

I have the 9 yr old out with me, and he wants to see me shoot one something fierce. Has been coming with me for about 4 years now and just hasn't happened with him along. He's got his small games tag now, so he's totn his bow as well, with the judo tip. I set up a stand 7yds from mine for him. Was pretty awesome to watch him grab bow and get turned in the stand on a squirrel 3-4 yards away without getting detected. Too bad the shot didn't materialize. Tonight, I was drawn on a yote at 5 yds, and he was so excited, he forgot to grab his bow!Good Times!

Thanks for the encouragement fellas! We didn't end up shooting a deer, largely due to very bad luck. My wife worked late on Fri, so my mo-in-law was going to watch my little girl while Ryan and I sat. Mo-in-law worked until 4:30, but thought she'd get out at 4:15 or so. We got to her place at 4:25 and were totally dressed and ready by 4:35. The she sent a text saying she was stuck at work and would get back as soon as possible. Unfortunatly, she didn't get there until 5:05. We were in the stand at 5:15, but as we walked into the woods I saw half a dozen deer walking down the trail heading directly for the stand right on the main trail that goes by it. BAD LUCK!!! But... when you're begging for baby sitting services, ya can't be picky! No complaining, but it didn't work out- we didn't see another deer after that.

Tonight however, was an incredible night! With the wrong wind for hunting my mo-in-laws, we headed home mid-morning and went out the the place in ND we have permission to hunt. It was great! I'll post some pics and tell a little story when I get a chance.

No kid joining in, but I'm going to be back in the stand in the AM tomorrow. I have a good feelin' about tomorrow...

I think it's great that you guys are taking your kids out. We need as many young hunters as we can to keep filling the ranks. My dad got me hooked early on just by letting me help track deer and telling me the stories of his hunt when he'd get home. To be able to take a kid and have them sit in a blind and experience the hunt is awesome. Keep up the good work!

After Fri night not working out, the wind swapped around and didn't work for us to sit in Ada. Ryan really wanted to hunt (almost as much as Dad did!) and we decided to head to ND to sit in a ground blind where the wind would be right. I left a trailcam out last time I was there and the results were promising- a few small bucks and a bunch of does and fawns. All I really wanted was to have Ryan see a few deer from a reasonably close distance. I wasn't willing to burn my ND tag on a doe or small buck yet though...

I decided to give Ryan the camera and I was in charge of the bow. All of the pics taken were from Ryan. As you'll see, the first few pics showed there was a learning curve, but he got better as he practiced more.

The first deer to show up was a doe- Ryan partially caught the doe as she crossed under the fence and made her way towards us.

DSC03257.jpg

DSC03247.jpg

She made her way near us and was munching on the alfalfa at about 20 yards.

DSC03342.jpg

Soon, a couple fawns joined her.

DSC03283.jpg

DSC03259.jpg

Other deer moved into and out of our window- Ryan watched and took pics as new "models" showed up for their photoshoot.

DSC03250.jpg

DSC03255.jpg

Eventually, she made her way outta there...

DSC03288.jpg

...and some smaller bucks moved into our little field of view.

DSC03399.jpg

Ryan took a lot more pics, but darkness set in and the quality of pics deteriorated quickly. He was loving it though and the happier he was, the happier I was! We ended up seeing four little bucks and about ten or so does and fawns. The biggest buck was a smal forkhorn, but that didn't matter- it was a great night!

BTW, for any of you who need encouragement to bring a camera with you and take some fun pics in the field- this should be great motivation. These pics were all taken by my six year old son. If he can take these pics, you can take some great pics too. Bring your camera with and make it a point to capture some the of fun happenings in the field- I think you'll be happy you did and if you're like me, it'll change the way you hunt for the better.

Last chance tonight! Ryan is coming with and I'll take a doe if I get a crack tonight. After tonight, I'm pretty sure it'll get too cold for him to join it, so this is my last shot at taking a deer with him this year. I hope a deer cooperates with me!

Thanks Monkster!

Well... it didn't come together. I went to a Dr appointment with my mom that was supposed to be done at about 2:30- that'd have given us plenty of time to get out to the woods. However, the appointment started 45 minutes late and lasted 45 minutes longer than expected. End result- no hunting. I was worried that Ryan would be crushed that we couldn't go, but he seemed unphased- I think he's about had enough hunting for the year. So, I think he's done for the season. With any luck I'll have one in the back of my truck to show him before long...